Audio noise-distortion!
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

For about 1 month I have been experiencing audio distortion on all channels on Fios. Voices, music and sound effects have a scratchy, clipped sound most of the time. This happens through HDMI on both my Fios  boxes, through an A/V receiver,  or connected directly to the tv. Verizon has replaced my cable box, all the inside wiring, the splitter, and the ONT,  but the distortion is still there. There must be some kind of transmission error that leads to this but Verizon techs say they have no idea. Anyone else having this problem? Any solution?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Audio noise-distortion!
JPV3
Enthusiast - Level 2

The firmware upgrade yesterday seems to have fixed things.  It also took the hidden audio passthrough option and unhid it.  It's now under audio settings "audio passthrough".  Interesting as changing these settings in the hidden menu didn't fix it so it's a deeper fix than just those menu options.  I never thought i'd say this but THANK YOU VERIZON!

View solution in original post

MArbia

I have been experiencing the same issue. I noticed this issue a few weeks ago. Lately the issue is only in the rear speakers and only happens some of the time. I am sure calling fios will not result in a resolution. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Good to know I'm not the only person with this issue. Fios techs think I'm crazy. It seems like they have either excessively compressed the audio, or are sending out a very hot audio signal. As the signal is digital, any clipping results in massive noise, unlike analog. Wish there was something to do about it as it makes watching TV very difficult!

ChadCMulligan

Same here, driving me crazy, distortion only with audio via cable box, all other inputs are fine.  Adjusted audio settings to no avail.  I dread calling them about this since it will likely be a wasted hour and service call. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

No joy, new box, ONT, splitter, wire, still have audio distortion. Was told by Verizon their signal is "compliant" and nothing else can be done. Wonder why it was fine for years, now not so. Could it be related to the new 4K rollout?

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

So still no resolution to the problem. It's definitely something going on with the signal from Verizon as it is audible on all channels, and both my boxes. You can even hear it on my kitchen tv, which is being fed by the analog outputs of the cable box. Tried an HDMI splitter in line with the HDMI feed from the cable box today and thet didn't change anything either, and that is a re-clocking splitter. So the distortion must be baked in before it gets to the house.

Are you listening VERIZON?

Please do something about this.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi clem53,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just upgraded to Fios 1 boxes and still have same clipped audio distortion problem.  That means it cant be equipment related, has to be signal related from Verizon. None of the tech support people I've spoken to are aware of any issue, or quite understand my description of the problem. So what's next anyone?

MJM9

I am experiencing the same issue.  Was there any resolution when this was escalated to a Verizon agent?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

No resolution whatsoever. Everyone at Verizon denies an issue. Tried to explain again to another tech who couldnt visualize what I was talking about. Tried to use analogy of cellphone turned up to loud, but he only "sort" of got it. It is ruining my enjoyment of tv viewing it's so annoying.  Are you using an AV receiver? If so which one? Maybe there is some kind of compatability issue here.