Audio problems with CHS 435
JGuz7
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello all, I'm having audio problems with my FiOS set top box. When I start to change channels I lose audio and can't get it back unless I turn the TV off/on or I change the HDMI source on my TV . Seems after changing a couple of channels the problem happens. I've tried the in home agent auto correct, and different HDMI cables. I have a Westinghouse TV and I'll try a firmware update for the TV and see if that fixes it. Any fix for this and the possibility that it might be the set top box ? I just got FiOS and all is going well besides this issue. Seems that the other STB that are model # 335 aren't having this problem.

0 Likes
Re: Audio problems with CHS 435
prisaz
Legend

Some TVs have had issues with the HDMI handshake and the Audio. You may be required to use the separate bulkier HD Component cables with separate audio cables. Or try it as a solution on that TV.

I have CHS 435 DVR on a Samsung, and 2 CHS 335s on different model Vizio TVs, all with HDMI, and no issues. Others have reported different issues. I did a search here with the following results. Perhaps this information will help.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=forum-board%3AFi...

JGuz7
Enthusiast - Level 1

Got it, that's what I gathered from an hour or two of researching this problem. Like you mentioned the HDMI handshake issue. Hopefully this is an issue verizon fixes soon through a firmware update.

So if I get a RCA Component Video Cable with Audio I shouldn't see this issue? I think the CHS 435 does 1080i which component is more than capable of. 

Thank you for your help. 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

"

Edit

It maybe an issue that crops up with various TV models that Verizon can't fix. It could be the models of TV and firmware in the TV. I know at one point people were saying Samsung, and mine never has an issue. Then some were saying Vizio and mine never had an issue with Motorola or Cisco. There was a fix for the STB that helped, but did not fix them all. Yes I tested both, and switch from Motorola to Cisco. Something that is not done, as normal policy. Some areas are not set up for Cisco, and it is not common practice to switch customers hardware types. I have read a couple of posts where a customer switched from Cisco to Motorola. Normally there are just to many issues because of the account database management, and hardware type issues.  I would say unless it is something drastic, that you are at the point of canceling, I would not switch hardware types. You may find out the grass is not greener on the other side. But I am happy with my hardware.

"

The last STB I picked up, Verizon wanted $20 for a HDMI cable. But the component cables with the 5 RCA plugs are given out by the hands full by the techs, and that is what the stores supply. Probably because of all the HDMI issues. They still do 1080i just as well as HDMI does. I know there has been a long history of HDMI issues and audio. The Motorola STBs have a hidden setting you can change. But regardless I begged for the Cisco, and like these boxes better. Just recently started seeing some strange things with subscriptions, and channels locking up. But they have worked very well since img 1.9 was installed.I just hope the recent picture and channel issues were just a fluke.

0 Likes
JGuz7
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'll try the firmware update on my TV first. If that doesn't work I'll give component cables with audio a shot. Wish I would of known this would of been an issue, would of asked for those cables instead of the HDMI. They are only $10 on Amazon. Best buy is charging $50 total for the same cables. I can deal with changing my HDMI source on the TV until they come in the mail.

Hopefully Verizon fixes this pretty soon or acknowledges the problem with a solution. If the solution is a different cable, say so Verizon. Hope your issue gets resolved soon. 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@JGuz7 wrote:

I'll try the firmware update on my TV first. If that doesn't work I'll give component cables with audio a shot. Wish I would of known this would of been an issue, would of asked for those cables instead of the HDMI. They are only $10 on Amazon. Best buy is charging $50 total for the same cables. I can deal with changing my HDMI source on the TV until they come in the mail.

Hopefully Verizon fixes this pretty soon or acknowledges the problem with a solution. If the solution is a different cable, say so Verizon. Hope your issue gets resolved soon. 

I don't think you should spend $50 on Best Buy Monster cables, but don't buy the cheapest you can find.

0 Likes
JGuz7
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just read your edit and like you said it's not worth going through all the trouble when the component cables should output the same signal quality as HDMI should or at least very similar. My TV is a Westinghouse that I bought from Target maybe 3 years ago as a Black Friday deal, and well like they say you get what you pay for. I'll upgrade my TV around the holidays when the prices go down a bit.

Looking to get these guys http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ID829O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&smid=A1DCPNQKKEISZB

Good reviews so far.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@JGuz7 wrote:

Just read your edit and like you said it's not worth going through all the trouble when the component cables should output the same signal quality as HDMI should or at least very similar. My TV is a Westinghouse that I bought from Target maybe 3 years ago as a Black Friday deal, and well like they say you get what you pay for. I'll upgrade my TV around the holidays when the prices go down a bit.

Looking to get these guys http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ID829O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&smid=A1DCPNQKKEISZB

Good reviews so far.

Yes. Not the most expensive.Smiley Very Happy

One of my Vizio TVs was from target, the other from Walmart. Both about $300 or less. My Samsung was my largest investment when LCDs were the hot thing, and Plasma was having screen burn in. I paid about $3000 at that time, and it makes me want to puke now. Circuit City store purchase. Not the new online site from the people that bought the name. Shows the age of the Samsung 1080p LCD at that time was top of the line at 46". I could have gone to a high end specialty store and spent thousands more, but not in my budget. The $3000 stretched to the breaking point.Smiley Sad

0 Likes
JGuz7
Enthusiast - Level 1

Got the component cable that I ordered from Amazon yesterday and that seems to have fixed the audio issues. Quality looks exactly the same as HDMI, at least with my TV or my eye isn't good enough to tell the difference Smiley LOL 

My STB was also flickering with the source and going back to it while I was watching a movie I DVR or while watching CNN HD. Seems like the component cables fixed that. I'll report back once I actually get to try it and test it more.

Solution for audio issues on the CHS 435: Component cables with audio ?

0 Likes