Audio problems with component cables vs. HDMI cables
jerrybob

There seems to be a fundamental problem with using HDMI cable and getting audio cutting out and in .

Everytime i get help from fios the same problem reoccurs.

Some of the tech people say I should us component cables and I won't have this problem.

But apparently they can correct it in the box but the same problems occurs after a few days.

I can't get an intelligent answer.

My own hunch is the software in the DVR box is somehow incompatible with the HDMI cable.

If you pay for HDMI cables and service why doesn't it work consistently.

Next question is there a difference in component as to HDMI and to high definition quality?

Ask ten people and get answers all over the place. That included the technicians.

0 Likes
Re: Audio problems with component cables vs. HDMI cables
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@jerrybob wrote:

There seems to be a fundamental problem with using HDMI cable and getting audio cutting out and in .

Some of the tech people say I should us component cables and I won't have this problem.

But apparently they can correct it in the box but the same problems occurs after a few days.

My own hunch is the software in the DVR box is somehow incompatible with the HDMI cable.

Next question is there a difference in component as to HDMI and to high definition quality?

Ask ten people and get answers all over the place. That included the technicians.

a user here, named lasagna, found a good fix for the audio cutting in and out problem.   You have to access the secret menu for the Set top box. 

You have to use the front display, you have to press these buttons 1 at a time, and about 1/2 second apart from one another. 

with the Set top and tv powered ON,  press Power - select - menu.

Once you do that succesfully you will see a white on screen user menu.   you should use the up and down arrows from the controller or the front of the box.     go to "Additional hdmi settings" and then when you get there, you will look for audio. and select Pass through. 

once you select it, back out of the menu and you should be good.  for some reason the auto setting has trouble with some tv's.     if it doesn't help, try the PCM next.   

Also do you have a home theatre set up or just the cable box and the TV?  

to answer a couple of your other questions, Component CAN deliver upto 1080p picture quality, but it depends on your TV.  Some tv's component outlets only put out 1080i, or 720p    so you have to check your manual.  But theoretically you can use components and match picture quality with HDMI no problem.  

also hdmi acts wonky like that, because there isn't a strict industry wide standard for their production and design, like there is with other things.  This causes interoperability problems, and symptoms like you are describing.    give that little trick a shot, and let us know if it works for you. 

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@jerrybob wrote:

Technically, there is no difference in quality between HDMI and Component. Both will handle the 1080 resolution just fine. The differences are more subjective. I've seen some TV's (my brothers JVC for example) that work better on HDMI than on Component. Others like my Sharp Aquos Quatron seems to like the component cables better. But most TV's (all the other TV's owned by myself, friends, or family) dont seem to care. Work just as well on either.

Your guess on the software is probably very close. Most of the HDMI issues are actually a problem with the handshake. The protocol for TV to STB communication. For many years most TV and Video Manufacturers could not agree on a standard for the communication. As a result many communication errors have come up. Most TV manufactures have acknowledged that it is their responsibility to fix and many have made good steps toward corrections. You may want to see if your TV has a firmware upgrade available. Verizon has also been making updates trying to get the boxes compatible with as many TV's as possible and they also have made a lot of progress. Used to be MUCH worse than it is now. But there will likely always be some that will never work properly. Now most TV manufactures have finally agreed on a standardization and it is less a problem with newer tv's. But for those that do have the issue, switching to component cables is the only "solution" if the TV firmware doesnt fix it.

EDIT:   LOL Hubrisnxs beat me to it again.  

Hubrisnxs
Legend

FIRST!!!!!!!     😄

jk

0 Likes
csellner
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

a user here, named lasagna, found a good fix for the audio cutting in and out problem.   You have to access the secret menu for the Set top box. 

You have to use the front display, you have to press these buttons 1 at a time, and about 1/2 second apart from one another. 

with the Set top and tv powered ON,  press Power - select - menu.

Once you do that succesfully you will see a white on screen user menu.   you should use the up and down arrows from the controller or the front of the box.     go to "Additional hdmi settings" and then when you get there, you will look for audio. and select Pass through. 

once you select it, back out of the menu and you should be good.  for some reason the auto setting has trouble with some tv's.     if it doesn't help, try the PCM next.   

This may be helpful for me!  How do you save the setting of "pass through"?  I returned to the main menu then pressed menu to exit it, found I still didn't have sound on many channels, and decided to try PCM.  Went back to this secret menu and it was back to "AUTO", so there must be a way to save it.  Thanks!

0 Likes
csellner
Enthusiast - Level 2

Kudos for Hubrisnxs! I googled FIOS DVR "additional HDMI settings" and found an article that explained this, and it said to press "power" to exit.  "Pass through" still didn't solve my problem, so I selected PCM and BAM, I now have all my channels with sound!!  Yay!

0 Likes