Avoid Fios Home router and TV One set-top boxes
po121
Enthusiast - Level 2

I thought it would be nice to upgrade my three set-top boxes to Fios TV One (main box and two Minis). After installing them, I learned that you need to upgrade to an expensive new router or they won't work. So I paid $300 for the Fios Home router. After about 26 hours of my labor and 15 calls with tech support and customer service, and three weeks of elapsed time, I have no TV service. Every support tech and every customer service rep tells me something different (and contradictory and often plainly ridiculous). I find the expensive new router no faster or better than my Actiontec MI424WR router. So now I have wasted $300, a $50 upgrade fee, and 26 hours of my time, and I have no TV service. The advertised wireless TV streaming feature does not work at all, and the voice remote barely works and constantly reboots itself. If your current Fios gear works, stick with it. Upgrading is not worth the risk. I may switch to Youtube TV--it's reliable and cheaper, and you don't need to rent set-top boxes. I don't want to cut the cord, but what is a person supposed to do? I have no TV service and can't spend any more time fixing it.

Re: Avoid Fios Home router and TV One set-top boxes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go here and tell the tech the situation. They'll respond quickly, hopefully with a solution.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The MI424WR is not compatible with TV One. You need either a FiOS Quantum Gateway or FiOS Home Router. The MI424WR isn’t dual band. It’s only 2.4 GHz. The minis need to 5 GHz to connect wirelessly. 

0 Likes
sportsguy01
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Fios one box had issues for a week before they finally decided to send me a new one.  Did I get  refund for not having service for a week no.  The new expensive router I rent to seems to have issues as well as it seems to always reboot itself

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like anything new there is always a few bugs to work out. The Quantum Gateway and Quantum boxes had issues when they first came out as well. Hopefully all these bugs get worked out soon. 

0 Likes
JAMMAN10

I had a similar experience in May 2020. I brought the new boxes home - 1 main unit and 2 satellite boxes - couldn't get them to work and found that my old existing Actiontec router wouldn't work with Fios TV One.

Verizon can see what router I have, but they never said a word about how I needed the upgraded, more expensive router. The "tech support" person was clearly reading from an online guide of FAQ's and that was the total of his knowledge. I also suspect he was  in another time zone. Say, on the other side of the world. But his name was "John" or "Roger" or something like that. Right.

I sent all 3 boxes back to them. that same day. I was sorry I ever started. Standard Definition TV will be fine for me. What a clown show.

0 Likes
FiosDog

I'm only going to be using "ONE" Fios TV One box.  NO Minis.  Just the main box.  Do you still need the dual band?  I'm only planning on hooking up via the coax.  With only the one box and no minis would the MI424WR be good enough?  All contact would be through the coax wouldn't it?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@FiosDog wrote:

I'm only going to be using "ONE" Fios TV One box.  NO Minis.  Just the main box.  Do you still need the dual band?  I'm only planning on hooking up via the coax.  With only the one box and no minis would the MI424WR be good enough?  All contact would be through the coax wouldn't it?

The Fios ONE boxe(s) require a G1100 or G3100.  They will not activate with anything else.

If all you have is the main box, it is coax only.  No need to worry about WiFi.

Note that the MI424WR has been discontinued by Actiontec many, many years ago.  All support for it was ended last fall.  It is now considered a significant security risk, as it does not receive security patches or other firmware updates.  It's performance is slow by today's standards.  You really should replace it as soon as possible.  If you don't want to purchase or rent a G3100 from Verizon, you can find used G1100's online for well under $50.  Just make sure the seller has a fair return policy in case of issue.

For the record, I've been using the Fios ONE boxes with my G1100 for well over a year now.  They work great.  I've had none of the issues discussed in this thread.  I highly recommend them as long as people who get them are also okay with using a Verizon G1100 or G3100.

0 Likes
123abc1231

verizon told me my old verizon set top boxes were obsolescent, and offered to send me new ones--free.   I said OK and I waited to install them until the Best Buy guys delivered our new TV two days ago.   Problem is that verizon never told me that my current verizon modem-router IS INCOMPATIBLE with the new set top boxes.  So no TV until verizon can bring a new compatible modem-router here.  They wanted to bring it out on January 8, so no TV for nine days.  I said no way--I'll switch to the dreaded comcast /infinity.  verizon then offered to bring the new compatible device out tomorrow, January 2, so three days with no TV--we'll see if it works .  All they needed to do was tell me I needed a new modem-router.  verizon seems to be racing comcast to the bottom.  Even it the new verizon device works, I want to replace it with a separate compatible modem and separate compatible  router as soon as possible.  I have no desire to give verizon any $ for anything they should have warned me about.    Any advice?

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to start a new conversation on the most relevant board. Thanks!