BEST wiring hookup for FIOS TV w/ Motorola 2500 STB?
RAM
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the Motorola 2500 STB and am trying to figure out the best hookup to my HDTV in terms of picture quality and sound.

I can pick from (1) Coaxial cable, (2) Composite video, or (3) S video.     What do you recommend?

Also, the wiring diagrams on this Verizon help site are confusing.   They show wiring where both the composite videa and S video cables are both connected at the same time.    Is this recommended?   Or, do you choose one or the other?

Thank you for any great advice you can offer!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: BEST wiring hookup for FIOS TV w/ Motorola 2500 STB?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@RAM wrote:

I have the Motorola 2500 STB and am trying to figure out the best hookup to my HDTV in terms of picture quality and sound.

I can pick from (1) Coaxial cable, (2) Composite video, or (3) S video.     What do you recommend?

Also, the wiring diagrams on this Verizon help site are confusing.   They show wiring where both the composite videa and S video cables are both connected at the same time.    Is this recommended?   Or, do you choose one or the other?

To answer your question, the best quality output from a 2500 (in descending order) are  S-Video (best), composite, coax (worst).  The first 2 options require separate audio connections and the coax is a mono audio signal.  As was mentioned, why have an SD box on an HD set?  To each their own.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
If you have an HDTV, why do you have that box? That's not an HD box and you won't get any HD channels.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@RAM wrote:

To answer your question, the best quality output from a 2500 (in descending order) are  S-Video (best), composite, coax (worst).  The first 2 options require separate audio connections and the coax is a mono audio signal.  As was mentioned, why have an SD box on an HD set?  To each their own.

0 Likes
RAM
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the advice.   I will go with the S Video hookup combined with composite audio cables.  

I'm assuming that the wiring diagram on this Verizon site that shows both the composite "yellow" video and S Video hooked up at the same time is incorrect.    If anyone can confirm if this is a mistake (see link below), I would be very appreciative.

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Receivers/Wiring+Diagrams/Motorola+2500+Set-Top+Box/...

I hope to upgrade to the HD STB soon, but it costs extra money and  this economy is tough.   When things pick up, I'm going to reward myself with HD.  For now, I'm trying to make every penny count. 

Thanks again.

0 Likes
face2345
they are correct. the diagrams show all the possiible connections
0 Likes