Back-up Battery Replacement
eugene491
Enthusiast - Level 2

The battery in my Fios box is beeping and I also received an e-mail from Verizon that they have detected my failing battery. Verizon warns that it is best to buy a replacement from them because other brands may cause problems or even damage to your system. Question 1: is there any truth to this - is it a risk to buy a battery from someone other than Verizon?  Also, I see replacement batteries on Amazon for $17 or $18, whereas Verizon wants $35 and Radio Shack wants $39 !! Question 2: Has anyone ever purchased one of these cheaper batteries? Are they dependable and as long-lasting? Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Back-up Battery Replacement
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Ther is no reason to overpay to Verizon.  I have replaced several for friends using those found on Amazon.  As long as the size, voltage, amperage and terminals are the same why spend double?  Only thing is don't forget to add the shipping (these are not light items) from Amazon (and sales tax if applicable), I believe that Verzion includes the shipping.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

I think the wording on that email is a little tricky, but they say on the email you can buy the battery from ANYONE as long as it's a 12V 7.2 ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery.

Later they say that you shouldn't use others because it may damage, but I don't think they mean other retailers, I think they mean other specification or styled batteries.

So even verizon says you can get it from wherever.

22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@eugene49 wrote:

The battery in my Fios box is beeping and I also received an e-mail from Verizon that they have detected my failing battery. Verizon warns that it is best to buy a replacement from them because other brands may cause problems or even damage to your system. Question 1: is there any truth to this - is it a risk to buy a battery from someone other than Verizon?  Also, I see replacement batteries on Amazon for $17 or $18, whereas Verizon wants $35 and Radio Shack wants $39 !! Question 2: Has anyone ever purchased one of these cheaper batteries? Are they dependable and as long-lasting? Thanks.

Hello,

There is also additional information regarding the Battery Back-up Unit battery via this link:

verizon.com/battery

relating to battery replacements for free if still under warranty or if you have a protection plan in place.

The video on the bottom section of the webpage shows how the battery can be replaced.

Verizon batteries can be ordered:

• over the phone by calling Customer Service at 1-800-837-4966 (will be shipped to you), OR
  • online via verizon.com/fiosaccessories (will be shipped to you), OR
  • at a local FiOS TV store (check first to see if they have them in stock and you can pick-up).

Here is a list of local stores:  http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/tv/fiostv/general+support/account+issues/questionsone/8...

The website link -- verizon.com/battery -- does state the following:

Can I buy a replacement BBU battery from outside sources?
The Verizon-supplied battery is designed specifically for use with FiOS service. While you can buy a battery from outside sources, use of a battery other than a 12-Volt 7.2Ah SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) battery is strongly discouraged since other battery types may impact the performance of your service(s). Verizon is not responsible for any damages resulting from the use of an improper battery.

This echoes what Hubrisnxs mentioned in the prior post.

Hope this helps!

rjl294
Enthusiast - Level 1

A couple of advantages, in my mind, of ordering the Verizon approved battery:

1) Guaranteed to work effectively with your unit

2) Comes with a warranty

3) Rated as a longer lasting battery (est. 6-8 years)

I'd rather spend the extra $20 for a battery that is going to last twice as long.  It just makes (financial) sense in the long run.

The Verizon approved replacement battery is also sold on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZHAYL6.  If the link doesn't work, just search for PX12072 replacement - you'll find it.

They're offering it for $37.95 and, since it is fulfiled by Amazon, there is no shipping cost.  It also looks like they are offering a 3-year warranty, versus the normal 1 year warranty offered by Verizon.  Not a bad deal.

Just my two cents.

me881
Enthusiast - Level 2

here is a tip...

ask if your battery is out of guarrantee, if it is, and you have less than 2years and more than 1year you can ask sup to send you one without paying for it, you just have to req sup i got that

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Retail and still perhaps a good deal for some items. If your in a pinch, or do not want to pay for shipping, there are many of these franchise stores. I have one about 6 miles from my house.

Batteries Plus. http://www.batteriesplus.com/default.aspx

Also you can purchase a small 120V UPS to plug the ONT power pack into. These range from $40-$80 battery included. This keeps your network online also. Plug your router and ONT into it, if they are near by. I had mine like that for years, with a UPS at my PC also. I even had my TV on a UPS to protect it and allow me to turn it off when the power goes out. Don't want to miss that last 5 min. and if the outage is longer than both UPSs at the ONT and the TV can handle, then it was meant to be.

The safe bet I would say, purchase the supported battery with the same rating, don't go cheap, but also don't over pay. Plug your ONT into a secondary UPS.

After looking at Batteries+ online, they may be a good choice for UPS batteries but poor choice for this application. I could not find a battery with the propper terminal configuration. There were a few that were 7.5 Ah but the website said call the store.

Best bet, follow the instructions in the other post, or call your local Batteries+ to see it there is a direct replacment. With the terminals in the proper position.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@prisaz wrote:

Best bet, follow the instructions in the other post, or call your local Batteries+ to see it there is a direct replacment. With the terminals in the proper position.

If it were me I would just take the battery out of the BBU and carry it with me, that way you can make absolutely sure that you get one with the correct terminal configuration. And I would have whoever you go to test it first to make sure it is really bad, there are numerous complaints here and other places that the BBU says the battery needs replacement when all that is needed is to remove the battery connection, wait 30 seconds or so, and reconnect it (worked for me a few weeks ago). Plus, Batteries+ will usually dispose of the old battery for free. And lastly, here locally Batteries+ has ads in the newspaper for 10% off most items, this battery might (or might not, I have no idea) qualify.

Keller, TX 76248