Backup Battery Unit
DKatz1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am receiving messages concerning my Backup Battery Unit needs to be replaced. I do not have FiOS voice services, so I do not see why I should spend money replacing the battery. I have to do the reset procedures when the alarm goes off, which is a nuisance, however the one I have does not leak, so I don't see what difference it makes.

I believe that the batteries should be part of the equipment and Verizon should provide the replacement at no charge. I already have to pay rental for Set Top Boxes in order to use the service, which doesn't make since. I have to pay for service then I have to pay more for equipment to be able to use the service? I am not going to buy a new battery and if Verizon wants to penalize me for that, I will happily switch my service to Time Warner Cable.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Backup Battery Unit
DKatz1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@PJL: No I don't think they can penalize for not getting a new battery, but receiving messages about it really seems like they are hounding me to do it. That's what led to the rant I wrote following that remark. Thanks for your support.

I'm not sure how Verizon would "penalize" you for not replacing the battery.  It's your choice. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@DKatz wrote:

I am receiving messages concerning my Backup Battery Unit needs to be replaced. I do not have FiOS voice services, so I do not see why I should spend money replacing the battery. I have to do the reset procedures when the alarm goes off, which is a nuisance, however the one I have does not leak, so I don't see what difference it makes.

I believe that the batteries should be part of the equipment and Verizon should provide the replacement at no charge. I already have to pay rental for Set Top Boxes in order to use the service, which doesn't make since. I have to pay for service then I have to pay more for equipment to be able to use the service? I am not going to buy a new battery and if Verizon wants to penalize me for that, I will happily switch my service to Time Warner Cable.

I'm not sure how Verizon would "penalize" you for not replacing the battery.  It's your choice. 

Hubrisnxs
Legend

if you don't mind constantly resetting the alarm silence button, then you don't have to get a new battery. 

If that is too much of a nuisance for you - then go ahead and spend the 20 dollars. (I found them cheapest at batterymart.com and also amazon.com)

www.verizon.com/battery

0 Likes
DKatz1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@PJL: No I don't think they can penalize for not getting a new battery, but receiving messages about it really seems like they are hounding me to do it. That's what led to the rant I wrote following that remark. Thanks for your support.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@DKatz wrote:

Just what type of messages are you receiving? 

0 Likes
Jimmca

What are the actual dimensions of the battery back-up unit?

0 Likes
Ashtonis

I agree that this is super annoying. Everyday I have to press the reset button when it starts beeping. I never asked for this stupid battery backup and I don't want to pay 1 or 100 dollars for a new battery. It's the priciple. I called to talk to a rep about it and he was pretty rude so I eventually hung up on him after his smart **bleep** answers. Wish I could just rip it out of the wall.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some have removed the battery and disabled the alarm.  Of course you then have no phone service in a power failure.  Not sure of the procedure to do so and it may vary between different models.

0 Likes
nvaslav48

I agree that this is Verizon responsibility to replace the battery. I did buy battery from Verizon(stupid me) for $43 plus $8 shipping.

However, I really cannot find the way to open battery compartment. I think it is probably screw some where on the side, but I cannot see it. I did call Verizon so called support and lady answered that all customers know as how to open the battery compartment. They "support lady" suggested to connect me to the main office. The lady on the in the main office said that she needs to reboot computer and promised to call me back. She never did.

After reading this forum I understood that I really do not need a battery and I am going to return the battery back.

Thanks for information.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They have started not even supplying the battery unless you pay a fee on initial installs. 

They need to post instructions on how to permanently silence the alarm.

0 Likes