Black Screen on QIP 7232 changing channels
cballin

I recently "upgraded" to the larger capacity QIP 7232 box with DVR. Now, when I change channels using the number keys on the remote, or using the "last" button on the remote, the screen goes black for about 10-15 seconds, and then the TV comes back on. However, when I use the channel up or down arrows on the remote, the blank screen does not happen - it just changes channels normally. I spent a lot of time one day on the phone with FIOS, and they had me do all the resetting stuff, but it still happened. FIOS then sent me another QIP 7232 cable box/DVR, which did the same thing. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm wondering if I should just get my older (smaller capacity) cable box back - I never had this problem with that box. thanks,Caryl

0 Likes
Re: Black Screen on QIP 7232 changing channels
PJL
Master - Level 3

@cballin wrote:

I recently "upgraded" to the larger capacity QIP 7232 box with DVR. Now, when I change channels using the number keys on the remote, or using the "last" button on the remote, the screen goes black for about 10-15 seconds, and then the TV comes back on. However, when I use the channel up or down arrows on the remote, the blank screen does not happen - it just changes channels normally. I spent a lot of time one day on the phone with FIOS, and they had me do all the resetting stuff, but it still happened. FIOS then sent me another QIP 7232 cable box/DVR, which did the same thing. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm wondering if I should just get my older (smaller capacity) cable box back - I never had this problem with that box. thanks,Caryl

Try setting the SD Override setting to "off" (main menu>settings>video setting>SD Override>off).  What you are probably seeing is your TV switcihing between SD and HD resolutions.  A new 7232 has the SD Override default setting of "480i" for some reason.  By turning the SD Override off, all programming from the STB (both HD and SD) will be sent to your TV at HD resolution (1080i or 720p, whichever you have the video format of the STB set to) so your TV won't have to switch its resolution each time you tune from an HD to SD channel or SD to HD channel.

This is a common solution to the situation you describe.