Box and/or TV automaticly locks/freezes up
Diana18

Several times now the STB and/or the TV has locked up/freezes without picture or sound. We have to shut the power off and then reconnect the power supply.  This can happen several times a day and is annoying at best. We did not have this with Directv, so it has to be a Fios problem. Any answers or solutions?

Thanks,

Diana

0 Likes
Re: Box and/or TV automaticly locks/freezes up
gjo15143
I've had this same problem. I'm sitting there watching TV, and the picture goes completely black, and no sound. The TV power is still on though. If I power off the TV and back on again, the picture and sound come back. I thought it might be a problem with my TV, until it started happening on another TV in another room.
0 Likes
MACE

This just started to happen to me as well but only when I'm switching channels via the remote's + or - channel buttons, the new station comes on with a picture but no sound, then the picture goes away in a couple of seconds.  I have to hit the + or - channel button to restore picture and sound.

This happens on my SD TV with the SD STB, I have to check the other SD and one HD TV we have in the house to see if those are affected as well

0 Likes
chalewa4bambu
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same thing just started happening to me.

Also, I just noticed that the A/V lag is worse than it has ever been. 

Ideas?

0 Likes
gjo15143
Actually in my situation, I will just be watching any given channel for say 30 minutes or so, and the screen and sound goes blank. I'm not even changing channels. And as I said, it happens to me on 2 different TV's. One TV that it happens on is our living room TV, which is a Westinghouse, but it is the one with the HD DVR STB, and the other that it happens on is in our office and is a ViewSonic TV with a SD STB only. Same behavior on both. Just sitting there watching a channel, and after about 20-30 minutes, goes black and no sound. Simply powering off the TV+STB and back on again brings everything back. And sometimes it happens a 2nd and 3rd time within the next 5 to 30 minutes.
0 Likes
fiosproblems
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mine does this every two days.  I think I had to reboot by Dish TV DVR once in two years. 

Called FIOS tech support coutless times - no real solution.  Do you have a Home Media DVR? Even tech service told me it was very buggy and suggested I get rid of it. But I used the DishTV multi room DVR a lot, so I would miss not being able to watch my shows in any room. 

Thinking of canceling the service, since tech support said there is no solution, I should be able to get out of contract. 

0 Likes
Held_Hostage

I have been having the same problem and still not sure why. There was a period of time when it seemed to have cleared up and we had no problems, but it's back again with a vengeance. I have also found that disconnecting the cable to the back of the STB also relieves the problem without unplugging for those that are easily accessible. When more than one STB is locked up I disconnect the input to the splitter and wait for a few minutes until all of the STB clocks display the correct time. I a relieved that I am not the only one being "held hostage" by this problem without any reasonable solution and leaning toward contacting their corporate office, my state representative, and anyone that can shed light on the issue. Thanks for your input.

H_H

0 Likes
Re: Box and/or TV automatically locks/freezes up
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
You either have a bad RF signal to your STB or a bad STB itself. Either way you will need a field tech to come to your house and check it out.
Message Edited by Telcoguru on 07-26-2009 09:34 AM
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

My neighbor and I both had the same problem. (notice.. had...past tense) it was because we had things stacked on top of our boxes. She had a towell with a plant stacked on top, and I had my DVD player on top. We both cut off the airflow to the vents on top of the STB and it was over heating. We both cleared off the top and now neither of us have had the problem since. Do any of you have something on top of your boxes, if so remove it and see if the problem goes away.

Also one of you said that you turned off the tv and then turned the tv back on and it fixed it. Well that would sound like a problem with the tv as you did nothing to the verizon system to change it.

And Mace, your describing a differnet problem. Yours is a known issue. where you change channels it says "currently unavailable" and you have to go channel up and down a time or two to get it to lock in. they've posted that this is a known issue that is supposed to be fixed on the next software upgrade. Supposed to be out sometime in the 4th quarter this year.

Message Edited by spacedebris on 07-26-2009 02:10 PM
0 Likes