Re: Box has sound but no picture. I unplug hdmi and picture comes back
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Christinet wrote:

I’ve started having the same issues this morning, this just started after whatever update was sent out 1/12/2021

Which APR are the Fios boxes on, what TV and Model are you using? These go directly from box to TV, not through a receiver or soundbar right? Need the info for tech support.

louieshowers
Enthusiast - Level 1

UPDATE:  I finally got through to a very pleasant tech support rep yesterday.  He was baffled and ruled out the HDMI cable as the issue, since once you unplug and reconnect everything works fine.  He agreed that it was related to the firmware update in my particular case.  Also, when I say that I do not have a picture,  I should include that I am still able to see the banner channel and program info, as well as the full guide.  There is just no image to the audio.  As a result, he assumed that my ARRIS mini STB in the fios 1gb connection did not handle the firmware upgrade and something malfunctioned in the box.  He shipped me out a new MINI STB.  I will try today and post back if that solved the issue.  I am not optimistic that it is a defective box.  I guess we have to out rule everything though..  This is a pain.

0 Likes
louieshowers
Enthusiast - Level 1

RECEIVED NEW BOX- SAME ISSUE PERSISTS.. This stinks.  Anyone have any other suggestions?

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@louieshowers wrote:

RECEIVED NEW BOX- SAME ISSUE PERSISTS.. This stinks.  Anyone have any other suggestions?

Need make and model of TV, did you try a new HDMI cable? Which input on TV are you using? Do you go through a soundbar or receiver? Do you have ANY other cables connected to the mini besides the HDMI cable?

louieshowers
Enthusiast - Level 1

It was told to me that I am at the mercy of Verizon software engineers to fix this issue.  It's 100%related to the update that fios pushed out and they are aware of the problem occurring with certain tvs.  Total inconvenience because I asked if I could roll back to the earlier version that worked for me and was told no. This is what happens when you don't beta test new rollouts.  What is Verizon's timeline for this fix?  I will be requesting a partial credit on Monday when customer service opens.  (Dynex Tv.  Arris Fios mini stb. Fios gb connection, connected with ethernet cable and hdmi) 

0 Likes
Netta63

Any solution yet? I have had this happening for a month or so on one tv and last week it started on a second tv!! I can’t take it and am ready to switch back to optimum!

0 Likes
louieshowers
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well, I pretty much demanded a credit today very politely.  I suggest you do the same.  I will request the credit for the box rental each month until they offer a solution. It's only fair business in my opinion.  I have spent lots of time troubleshooting it! Good luck.  

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@louieshowers wrote:

Well, I pretty much demanded a credit today very politely.  I suggest you do the same.  I will request the credit for the box rental each month until they offer a solution. It's only fair business in my opinion.  I have spent lots of time troubleshooting it! Good luck.  

Have you tried setting the Fios box to 1080i in the video settings menu? This sounds like an HDCP issue. Have you checked for a firmware update from TV mfr? Unplugging and plugging the hdmi cable back in forces the TV and box to renegotiate the HDCP handshake. You COULD try putting an HDMI switch between the Fios box and TV which would then do it's own handshake with the TV. Can get one really cheap on Amaz.

louieshowers
Enthusiast - Level 1

@clem53 wrote:

@louieshowers wrote:

Have you tried setting the Fios box to 1080i in the video settings menu? This sounds like an HDCP issue. Have you checked for a firmware update from TV mfr? Unplugging and plugging the hdmi cable back in forces the TV and box to renegotiate the HDCP handshake. You COULD try putting an HDMI switch between the Fios box and TV which would then do it's own handshake with the TV. Can get one really cheap on Amaz.

THanks for the reply.  Do you have a link to that device.. I may grab one if it is dirt cheap!! haha.   I have done everything on my end, including switching to 1080i.  As far as a firmware update to my tv, it is an older flat screen tv and I guess I could check.  It is not a smart tv which would require me to do it through the service menu and usb.  Never did that before.   Thanks!

0 Likes
Netta63

How do you set it to 1080i??

0 Likes