Re: Box keeps turning on and off constantly.
wickedcoddah

I too have this issue and find that when I am online with my computer that is wired or playing my xbox360(also wired) both of my TV boxes lose their IP and keep resetting till they get an IP.  I heard something about the NAT table for the Actiontec routers is too small or something like that but i dont know...  

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

wickedcoddah wrote:

... when I am online with my computer that is wired or playing my xbox360(also wired) both of my TV boxes lose their IP and keep resetting till they get an IP.  I heard something about the NAT table for the Actiontec routers is too small or something like that but i dont know...  

Some of the older Actiontec routers suffered from NAT table issues, but that's not the case with newer revisions.  What is the model number of your router (complete details)?

0 Likes
Headhunter6
Enthusiast - Level 3

My router is a Revision I, so no issues with the NAT I assume.

0 Likes
wickedcoddah

Actiontec MI424WR Rev. 1

edit:  It only happens when I am online with my desktop computer, laptop, or xbox360...  If those things are not running then my boxes are ok and dont reset...  

0 Likes
Headhunter6
Enthusiast - Level 3

The last thing I can think to do might be to move my router closer up wire to my DVR box. I noticed that while all the STB/DVR diagnostics say everything is fine, the STB/DVR for some reason is unable to pull my router SSID and passkey info. All of my other STB (regular STBs) are able to do this. No clue if this will work, however. What is most odd is that these random reboots seem to happen near the beginning or end of an hour...say 1159 or 300. That's an unscientific observation...wife gets PO'd when she misses the last minute of Grey's Anatomy...but ultimately painful to me as I suffer the wrath. 

0 Likes
Headhunter6
Enthusiast - Level 3

I went ahead and relocated the FIOS Router to be right next to my DVR box and on the same splitter. After observing performance for the last several days, we've had no reboots so far as I can tell. Not sure if I am out of the woods yet on this issue, but it looks promising.

0 Likes
Headhunter6
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I wrote the above just a tad too soon. We had two reboots last night. Now I'm out of ideas.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

Headhunter6 wrote:

... We had two reboots last night. Now I'm out of ideas.

Nine times out of ten, I'd say this is a wiring-related issue and that either the coax or one or more of your device connection cables are at fault.  However I've re-read the thread a few times and it appears that you've gone through that route (including a tech visit) and checked the splitters, the coax itself including all terminations (correct?), and so on.  You also indicated that your DVR (7216) is "brand new" (although perhaps there are later models such as the 7232).

Therefore even at the risk of stating the obvious, have you tried changing out the DVR itself for another?  If you're lucky you can just walk into a Verizon FiOS store and make the switch.

PJL
Master - Level 3

@Headhunter6 wrote:

Well, I wrote the above just a tad too soon. We had two reboots last night. Now I'm out of ideas.

This intermittent reboot sounds to my like a spurious electrical signal is freaking the STB out and causing it to reboot.   I don't think the internal power supply filtering on the STBs is very good, and eletrcial transient signals (like when you refrigerator comes on, etc.) can cause problems.  Just a thought, but have you tried a good filtering power strip ahead of the STB?  I have all of my equipment, including the STB, on a filtering power strip and never have electically-induced problems.

0 Likes
Headhunter6
Enthusiast - Level 3

The filtered power strip is certainly an idea since nothing else has seemed to work or maybe even putting the whole thing on a UPS. We've got another Verizon Technician scheduled to come out to have a look--and possibly rewire the house--but I am totally stumped on the cause. Since I've moved from a sane search for solutions into the whacky theory lane, I wonder if there is perhaps some IR signal that can cause the thing to reboot? Maybe a neighbor's garage door opener that somehow reflects through my window?

0 Likes