Box not working after late night updates!!! Help
cappie

About three am my dvr shut off and started downloading updates. of course I didn't just leave it alone I tried turning it off/on not realizing what was going on. Now its 3 hours later and I still don't have my cable back. Its had different codes pop up like f1 and dui and FP but if I turn it off the whole thing goes blank and when I turn it on the channel is displayed but it never switches to the time and my TV (an hdmi) is not picking up any signal. I tried to unplug and reboot but when I do it just starts at dui then dl with a running cursor all over again. Any ideas what's wrong with it?

0 Likes
Re: Box not working after late night updates!!! Help
BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

It sounds like you may not have received the full update.   This happened to me once and tech support sent through the update again while I was on the phone with them and it worked fine.  Just a guess though.

0 Likes
abisdabis1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the same issue this morning on two of my three boxes, 6416.  On the third I do not know if it downloaded because it is in my sons room and he slept in.  On the other two the TV would turn on but no functions were available, you could only watch the current channel.  I reset them both from the In Home Agent and one of them is functioning correctly.  I have not checked the second one yet.  I checked the version and it is still 1.7.09.83 which was updated on my boxes on 1/20/2010.  Anyone have any idea what might have been downloaded?  I was hoping it was the on screen caller id functionality.

0 Likes
MadInFla

Verizon tried to download a new revision 1.7.1 of the IMG. It didn't work for HD/HD-DVR boxes. They had to roll back the revision to get those affected boxes to work again. As a result, I was without TV service for over 6 hours. Verizon isn't going to give me any credit on my bill for the outage, although it is their fault their download didn't work.

Tech support would not admit they were having a problem, but if you Google the problem you will see it affected users in FL and PA. It looks like Verizon didn't test the revision thoroughly as they have had previous problems when downloading this revision in other parts of the country.

Why can;t Verizon admit when they are having problems? They have no respect for their customers. I would accept their being truthful, rather than having  tech support trying to blow smoke up my rear end.

0 Likes
Suzanne7777
Contributor - Level 1

I have an HD DVR and a SD DVR.  This morning the HD DVR was fine, but the SD DVR was going nuts.  There was an error message and then a bunch of odd words and numbers.  I unplugged it at least 3 times, and it just kept coming up with errors.  At that point I decided it was broken and I was going to bring the box in to the Verizon store near my office and exchange it (probably for a more expensive box, as they don't distribute the SD DVRs any more.  Then I tried turning it on and off and it came on, but there was no guide and I could not change the channel.  So I rebooted it once more, and this time everything worked.  It totally ruined my morning, and I was late to work because of screwing around with this.  So this was an update? At 7am?  If they are planning to download upgrades at night, I would really appreciate a message BEFORE it is done and NOT AFTER. 

What is the problem with Verizon that they cannot come up with the most logical procedures in providing customer service.  Can they really not put themselves in their customers' place?  Are they just totally oblivious to the problems with the service?  The reception is great, but Verizon has a huge amount of work to do in the Customer Service and Billing departments.

0 Likes
abisdabis1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@MadInFla wrote:

Verizon tried to download a new revision 1.7.1 of the IMG. It didn't work for HD/HD-DVR boxes. They had to roll back the revision to get those affected boxes to work again. As a result, I was without TV service for over 6 hours. Verizon isn't going to give me any credit on my bill for the outage, although it is their fault their download didn't work.

Tech support would not admit they were having a problem, but if you Google the problem you will see it affected users in FL and PA. It looks like Verizon didn't test the revision thoroughly as they have had previous problems when downloading this revision in other parts of the country.

Why can;t Verizon admit when they are having problems? They have no respect for their customers. I would accept their being truthful, rather than having  tech support trying to blow smoke up my rear end.

Any idea what the revision is for?

0 Likes
NYC-Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

One of my neighbors had to have his DVR replaced yesterday because of this late night update issue. He was lucky to find one of the regular FIOS installers that have been working in my building lately so he didn't have to wait for a scheduled appointment to get another DVR.

0 Likes