Burn in LCD Screen of Set Top Box Standby Message
richardd1120

I have noticed that the Screen Saver Type Message that the Set Top Box displays if you turn the box off,

but the TV is still on has been burned into my LCD Screen.

At the top, middle and bottom of my screen I can now constantly see:

/Verizon

Press MENU to watch FIOS TV, otherwise turn OFF your TV

I called tech support, but they say the only way that could be burned into my screen was if I left my TV on

constantly, which I know I don't,  It is off more than it is on.

So the only thing I can think of is when I turn my TV off, it also goes into a sort of standby mode, much

like the set top box, where the screen is black, but is able to be turned on quickly.  This in my TV menu

power setup is called the "Normal" mode.  I have now set it to "Power Saver" mode, which totally shuts

the TV down, it takes much longer to turn on now.  But apparently it is to late to save my LCD screen from

the burn in.      By the way, my LCD is a Westinghouse 42" 1080P.

Just wanted to let other people know that if your TV also goes into a standby mode, much like mine, you

could also have this message burned into your screen just like I do.

0 Likes
Re: Burn in LCD Screen of Set Top Box Standby Message
sgip2000

First of all, relax.  LCD tv's are not prone to burn in.  You will see what looks like burn in, but it will normally go away after a short amount of time.  Just watch TV as normal and you should see it disappear.

The best solution is to just leave the cable box "on".  It won't consume much more power by being on than in standby.

0 Likes
richardd1120

Maybe LCD's screens aren't prone to burn in, but mine is.  Since this has happened I have turned my TV to

"Energy Saver" mode which completely shuts down the TV and I disconnect my HDMI cable when I turn off

my TV.  The message is still there when I turn the TV back on and it isn't going away.  Guess I can't relax.

I can't save my TV, but I posted this message so that maybe I might help other people from having this

happen to them.

0 Likes
sgip2000

There are some tips at this link that may help with correcting your image retention problem.

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/image-sticking.html

0 Likes