CC problem on SD channels
ssetta
Contributor - Level 1
I've been experiencing this weird problem with closed-captioning on both of my SD STBs. On a lot of the channels, it will frequently drop 2 letters of certain phrases. This doesn't seem to happen on my HD STBs, though I've actually noticed a slightly different problem there. Sometimes the CC doesn't stay on the screen for as long as it should. Do you think there might be a software upgrade for this? What do you think this could be?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: CC problem on SD channels
ssetta
Contributor - Level 1
I just swapped out both SD boxes for HD ones, and the problem seems to have gone away! I somehow had a feeling this would do it. Maybe it's just the combination of having MR-DVR and SD boxes not being compatible with this one small feature. (Justin, I'm assuming you do not have the Multi-Room DVR.) When I went to the office today, I explained the reason why I was exchanging the boxes, and they actually tried to talk me out of it, because they said that shouldn't be an issue. But, it worked!
Message Edited by ssetta on 07-25-2009 02:21 PM

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

There have previously been some discussions here and on other forums on CC issues and my understanding is:

1) the SD STB (QIP2500) does not support CC. What you are seeing is your TV interpreting the CC data, not the STB. So if something is being dropped, it is the TV doing it, not the STB, or maybe the characters really are not there.

2) The HD STBs do support CC. I have seen some complaints here and on other forums about the text not remaining on the screen long enough; I do not use CC myself, but I have turned it on and off a number of times, and my HD DVR seems to leave it up a reasonable amount of time, but that is just my impression.

There is no software upgrade available for now that I know of. There is supposed to be a new level later this year with new functions and fixes, I have no idea whether there is going to be anything in it that would address your CC issues.

Hope this maybe helps a little bit.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
ssetta
Contributor - Level 1
1) I know that, but I have two SD QIP2500s on two different TVs, and they are both doing the same thing. So it must be something in the software.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

OK, if you want to believe that, fine, and maybe somehow it is. But I don't see how the SD STB that does not do anything but pass the signal through to the TV could be causing it. A TV we have that is on an SD STB automatically displays the CC whenever we mute it, and my wife, who watches that TV the most and fairly frequently has it muted, has never mentioned anything like that, nor have I ever seen it when I have been watching it. And FWIW I have never seen a complaint like that on this or any other FiOS TV forum, but of course that doesn't mean there isn't a problem. I just don't believe that the STB is causing it.

Same or different brand TVs?

Good luck.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
ssetta
Contributor - Level 1
Different brand TVs. One is a Sony WEGA from 2003, and the other is a Magnavox from 1994.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
If it's truly a QIP 2500 - then according to the manual for it, there isn't a closed captioning option.   Manual can be found online here.
Message Edited by Hubrisnxs on 07-22-2009 12:45 PM
0 Likes
ssetta
Contributor - Level 1
I know there isn't. I use the closed-captioning on my TV with the two QIP2500s. There is no closed-captioning option on the cable box. The problem I have been experiencing is when using the CC built into the TV set. The same thing happens on both sets.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I have seen that happen on several tv's HD or SD - at my house it happens with a direct cable hook up on one of my digital tv's.    CC are sent down to the stb's by CC company's who translate and broadcast to the channel.  I guess a question I would have is this.

Are your HD boxes on the same exact channel at the same exact time and having no trouble, while your sd box on the same sd channel getting the break up of words?

It would be my guess that your HD boxes may come out fine, but on different channels, possibly even hd channels, but I could be wrong.

The CC though isn't going to be fixed by any verizon software upgrade though, as the STB isn't what's driving your Closed captioning in the first place, it's just passing the TV signal to the TV and unencrypting national programming and encrypted channels like hbo and skinemax etc....

0 Likes
ssetta
Contributor - Level 1
I just swapped out both SD boxes for HD ones, and the problem seems to have gone away! I somehow had a feeling this would do it. Maybe it's just the combination of having MR-DVR and SD boxes not being compatible with this one small feature. (Justin, I'm assuming you do not have the Multi-Room DVR.) When I went to the office today, I explained the reason why I was exchanging the boxes, and they actually tried to talk me out of it, because they said that shouldn't be an issue. But, it worked!
Message Edited by ssetta on 07-25-2009 02:21 PM
0 Likes