CHS 435HDC - "An unknown external hard drive is connected"
JBeke

Having some troubles with my multi-room dvr STB. Every 30 minutes or so, the picture will freeze, flash pink a few times, then a message box appears in the lower right hand corner of the screen that states:

"An unknown external hard drive is connected. Using this hard drive on this set-top box will remove the existing content on the drive. Do you want to use this drive?"

The box will then freeze, and reboot itself.

I would understand seeing this message if I was in fact trying to connect an external drive, but I'm not.  I've tried the standard fixes, like rebooting the router, resetting the STB using the in-home agent app, and even pulling the power cord on the STB and forcing it to reboot. My fear is that the internal hard drive in the box may be corrupted, meaning the box needs to be replaced.

Anybody have any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: CHS 435HDC - "An unknown external hard drive is connected"
magnusfl
Enthusiast - Level 3

sounds like you gotr a defective unit or it need reset try calling tech suport they try and reset it and if that does not work they change it out  for you

0 Likes
JBeke

Yeah, working with a tech via chat right now.

I wonder if the box got overheated at some point. When the installation tech was here, he set up the router leaving it directly on top of the STB. And the router gets quite hot I've noticed.

0 Likes
JBeke

Not surprised to find that the problem persisted after the tech did a remote initialization of the STB. I guess I'll be getting a replacement for this box.

0 Likes