CISCO CHS 335 HDC -- looking for a compatible Infrared Repeater
japamc

In doing some kitchen remodeling in my townhouse, I am planning to buy a new HD TV and mount it to a kitchen wall.  Since I have an electician coming to do this work, the plan is to put the cable set top box in a storage closet behind where the TV is planned to be place....it would be a nuisance to have as cable set-top on a kitchen counter and as a woman really hate how ugly those things.  

Through some research it was suggested that I attach an Infrared Repeater to the front of the TV and the repeater box can be wired through the wall to the cable box etc. The repeaters I've researched are small devices so that sounded like a good solutions.  This would enable me to use the remote control with no problems.

I was informed by a Verizon CSR that none of their HD cable boxes have the ability to connect to an Infrared Repeater.  This includes- the model I currently have as listed in the subject and the 3 Motorola models they also have availabe - 7100, 7100P2 and 6200.  I thought I would ask this community if any one has tried this or has any other suggestions.  My goal is to be able to change the channel and not have the cable box visible.  These boxes are not DVRs either.  This is a huge bummer to me and shocking if this is true that Verizon has such limitations in its service. 

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: CISCO CHS 335 HDC -- looking for a compatible Infrared Repeater
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@japamc wrote:

In doing some kitchen remodeling in my townhouse, I am planning to buy a new HD TV and mount it to a kitchen wall.  Since I have an electician coming to do this work, the plan is to put the cable set top box in a storage closet behind where the TV is planned to be place....it would be a nuisance to have as cable set-top on a kitchen counter and as a woman really hate how ugly those things.  

Through some research it was suggested that I attach an Infrared Repeater to the front of the TV and the repeater box can be wired through the wall to the cable box etc. The repeaters I've researched are small devices so that sounded like a good solutions.  This would enable me to use the remote control with no problems.

I was informed by a Verizon CSR that none of their HD cable boxes have the ability to connect to an Infrared Repeater.  This includes- the model I currently have as listed in the subject and the 3 Motorola models they also have availabe - 7100, 7100P2 and 6200.  I thought I would ask this community if any one has tried this or has any other suggestions.  My goal is to be able to change the channel and not have the cable box visible.  These boxes are not DVRs either.  This is a huge bummer to me and shocking if this is true that Verizon has such limitations in its service. 

Thanks.

Hello,

One can actually obtain an infrared (IR) remote control extender (more commonly called the "eye") to work in conjunction with the FiOS TV set top box.  The STB needs to have a working IR remote input port on the back panel.

Verizon's IR extenders (3 ft. long) are available for purchase:

a) online via www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

OR

b) at a local FiOS TV store (call first to check if they have them in stock).  For a list of stores:  http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/tv/fiostv/general+support/account+issues/questionsone/8...

These extenders are supported on Motorola 7000 series STBs, but not the 6000 series.  The IR extenders also work on Cisco STBs (the accessories website has not been updated yet to include these newer types).

Feel free to compare these prices with ones sold thru your local electronics store.

Hope this helps!