CableCard Problem - No more Fox channels - Copy Once Flag Turned on
rockstarcoder
Enthusiast - Level 2

All the Fox-owned channels are copy-once, except for the local Fox affiliate.

• FX HD (EAST)
  • Fox Sports 1 HD
  • BTN HD
  • Fox Business Ne
  • Fox News HD
  • National Geo HD
  • Nat Geo Wild HD
  • FXX HD

As a result of this unexpected and recent change (around July 13, 2015), you may lose access to these channels and I'm not sure if Verizon can help you with this problem... this impacts all CableCard users (i.e. Tivo, Windows Media Center, etc.)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: CableCard Problem - No more Fox channels - Copy Once Flag Turned on
rockstarcoder
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, I didn't give up.. and I FINALLY got it working on Windows.

Fox enabled DRM on the channels that I mentioned in my original post.

Here is roughly what I did to fix it....

- Verify that your CableCard is paired with Verizon.   Verify that you are 'subscribed' to those channels with your CableCards diagnostic logs (if you can).

- You MUST use Windows Media Center (WMC) to view DRM protected channels.  Apparently, WMC is the only TV application on Windows that will let you watch DRM protected channels. 

- In WMC and under the Extras menu, you must run the Digital Cable Advisor.  There is a repair tool for Digital Cable Advisor from Microsoft (if you need it or want to run it to be safe -- just google it).   If the Extras menu is not showing in WMC, you will have to turn it on in the registory.  Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Application\Internal (OnStartMenu = True)

- In WMC and under TV-> Settings, you must run the TV Signal activation.

Fox channels (DRM protected channels) returned.

View solution in original post

Atomicpunk1
Mcard losing Certain Channels July 2015
I posted this earlier but accidently had my email in it so they removed it, glad they can take the time fine tooth combing an email for removing a post for leaving a trivial piece of information instead of actually fixing and answering a question they still have not fixed...

‎07-19-2015 03:20 AM - last edited on ‎07-19-2015 08:36 AM by a person a Verizon
Who the question is directed at:
If you are an MCard user and have recently lost your FX channels including:
FX, FS1, FS2, BTN, FBN, Fox News, NatGeo, NatGeoWild, FXX, FXM, FCSA, FCSC, FCSP, Fox Deportes, BTN Alt, BTN Alt2, FX HD, FS1 HD, BTN HD, FBN HD, Fox News HD, NatGeo HD, NatGeoWild HD, FXX HD

Request:
Please help with an answer before I go days/weeks without an answer trying hours of troubleshooting.

Problem:
I have an Mcard in a Homerun Prime which has been working great for years and noticed this week that I lost the channels listed above. Everything works fine on other channels, they also come in on a Standard Set top box.

What I have done:
I have contacted tech support and "Reactivated" the Mcard as suggested by DSL reports (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30174874-Channels-Fox-Channels-now-Copyright-flag)
An low and behold, it worked but the next morning, back to Subscription required.
Also, A new Firmware update AND software update was done with homerun prime,

What I expect from Tech support:
Find an answer to why the mcard is losing the copyright flagging.
What are the options?
What is the ETA of fixing this situation?

In the meantime, if you have a problem like this one, make sure that you get someone who can reset the card manually (usually a Verizon tech support supervisor), if they let the system do it, it can reset to unvalidated like what happened to me, (there are more details in the DSL Report forums - They go into MUCH MORE detail there...
Good Luck,
Thank you,
William
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you check for an update to Homerun? The copy once flag should not stop these from working.

0 Likes
JimSahm
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the SAME issue here in Delaware.  M-Card in HD Homerun Prime was working flawlessly, now no fox channels, etc.

Someone changed something...

I'd like to hear back what changed on or about 16 July 2015??  Zero byte recordings since then...

Can someone tell me why I am paying $5 a month for a card to NOT allow me to record the channels I am paying for?

Jim

0 Likes
JimSahm
Enthusiast - Level 2

For now, I am just dumping that tier on my cablecard.  I only have HD Homerun Prime, so if I can't get those channels, why would I pay for them???

If enough 3rd party folks do that, maybe Verizon/Fox will change it back to the way it was.

Jim

0 Likes
JimSahm
Enthusiast - Level 2

...  bottom line, any HD Homerun CC users should dump the FOX tier, as they no longer function.

Save your money...

Jim

c0nj0b

I'm another user that's affected by this change. 

I'm paying hundreds of dollars a month for Verizon Fios to both my business and home.  To lose access to all these FOX channels that we pay for is unacceptable.  Verizon's response to the effect of, sorry, to bad, blame fox, is even worse.

I would think a company as established Verizon would be able to find a solution.  Even a workaround such as a free loaner dvr until a solution is found would be more acceptable than to do nothing.

0 Likes
rockstarcoder
Enthusiast - Level 2

The support guy reset, re-reset, and reset again..  reset, re-reset, and reset again... I've had people on the phone reset.. and people at the house reset... nothing fixed the issue with Fox channels and the CableCard.

I did notice that Fox channels show "CCI Protected: none" (coming from Verizon).. but, I'm *not* able to watch the channels I mentioned above (first post)... nothing fixed it... so I got a HD receiver from Verizon for time being to figure out if ComCast or someone else having this issue.. I really like just having a CableCard... and nothing else.

0 Likes
rockstarcoder
Enthusiast - Level 2

I typically see Windows Media Center say "Subscription Required"... for these channels... like I'm not paying for them.

0 Likes
rockstarcoder
Enthusiast - Level 2
20150722-01:28:40 CableCARD: tuner2 617 Fox Business Ne (auto:387MHz-729) access = not-subscribed
20150722-01:50:41 Tuner: tuner2 tuning 618 Fox News HD (auto:375MHz-725)
20150722-01:50:41 Tuner: tuner2 streaming rtp to 192.168.0.157:5001
20150722-01:50:42 CableCARD: tuner2 618 Fox News HD (auto:375MHz-725) access = not-subscribed

Virtual Channel                           618 Fox News HD
Frequency                                   375.000 MHz
Program Number                        725
Authorization                             not-subscribed
CCI Protection                           none
Modulation Lock                          qam256
PCR Lock                                    locked
Signal Strength                           95% (-3.4 dBmV)
Signal Quality                             100% (37.1 dB)
Symbol Quality                           100%
Streaming Rate                           none
Resource Lock                            none

0 Likes