Cablecard, WMC & XBOXs as extenders - XBOX lost connectivlty to HTPC - UPnP search for XBOX failed
eonrite
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I am using two XBOXs as WMC extenders.  My setup was working fine for seven months and then experienced the following issue the first week of September - WMC cannot connect to the XBOXs and vice-versa (XBOXs cannot connect to the PC).  Basically, the HTPC and XBOXs can no longer see each other but both connect to the Internet.  Right now I am thinking the router is the issue but can't nail it down. 

My setup:

*FiOS MoCa network

*ActionTec MI42WR Rev. E router

*Two ActionTec MI42WR routers used as MoCa gateways

*Two XBOXs

*Windows 7

*Windows Firewall/Security Essentials

Attempts to fix:

*Uninstalled and attempted to reinstall extenders in WMC

*Rolled-back to Windows 7 configuration before issue appeared

*Tried to connect via wireless

*Updated DRM rights (http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/30/t/4280.aspx)

*Updated network sharing settings and services per this link - http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/30/t/30862.aspx

*Updated firewall to enable through the firewall per the FAQ (http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/audio-video-setup-and-use/media-center-faq)

*Did a clean boot of Windows 7

*Reset router

*Did some variations of port forwarding on the main ActionTec router

Windows Event Viewer:

Lists this error when I try to connect the XBOX 

Log Name:      Media Center

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Media Center Extender

Date:          9/14/2012 9:18:44 PM

Event ID:      538

Task Category: Configuration

Level:         Error

Keywords:     

User:          MBR-PC\MasterBedroom

Computer:      MBR-PC

Description: Media Center Extender Setup failed as the Extender was detected on the network but the UPnP search for the Extender failed (timed out after 20000ms).

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">   <System>     <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Media Center Extender" Guid="{7B7838A3-6562-4269-BB7A-97B0D9593882}" />     <EventID>538</EventID>     <Version>0</Version>     <Level>2</Level>     <Task>4</Task>     <Opcode>0</Opcode>     <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>     <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-09-15T01:18:44.893988000Z" />     <EventRecordID>6348</EventRecordID>     <Correlation />     <Execution ProcessID="4800" ThreadID="4820" />     <Channel>Media Center</Channel>     <Computer>MBR-PC</Computer>     <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-2469917516-3084953857-1492151363-1000" />   </System>   <EventData>     <Data Name="Timeout">20000</Data>   </EventData> </Event>

Any suggestions?  I

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cablecard, WMC & XBOXs as extenders - XBOX lost connectivlty to HTPC - UPnP search for XBOX
eonrite
Enthusiast - Level 2

Fixed!  Finally, gloriously fixed!

Thanks to AVS forums!

The fix is in post #1045 found on this page:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1145636/actiontec-mi424wr-a-cheap-moca-bridge-for-all/1020

Here's the solution from that post:

So if you guys want to try, the basic steps for this fix were:

1) Hard reset the problematic MI424WR (with the power on, hold the reset button for 20 seconds, release)

2) Go into the advanced settings and uncheck automatic time update. (you probably want to do this before the router reconnects to the WAN, so you may want to leave the coax disconnected until you've completed the configuration, and i'm guessing the date just needs to be set sometime before sep 2012). I left the date set at its default (2007).

Keeping my fingers crossed that this works for good, although my guess is as good as any at this point. After this, based on what I saw in the network collects (mostly lack of UPNP traffic getting forwarded across the coax/ethernet bridge), I've got no other ideas. But what I do know is there is definitely something wrong in these routers, most likely the firmware, that Actiontec needs to address.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Cablecard, WMC & XBOXs as extenders - XBOX lost connectivlty to HTPC - UPnP search for XBOX
beckyricha

I'm not a routing expert, and don't know about the whole worked fine then didn't part, but I had a lot of the same troubles when initially setting up my Xboxes and HTPC with MOCA, ethernet and WiFi trying to talk to each other. Only way I ever got it fixed was to take all the usual settings where they tell you to forward ports t make an Xbox work, but instead set port triggereing on those.  It is on the main router, under firewall settings, and set up these triggers:

TCP 3074 -> ~4567
UDP 3074 -> 3074
UDP 88 -> 88

Tried every other thing I could find online, but this cleared up everything.  Worth a try...

0 Likes
eonrite
Enthusiast - Level 2

Fixed!  Finally, gloriously fixed!

Thanks to AVS forums!

The fix is in post #1045 found on this page:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1145636/actiontec-mi424wr-a-cheap-moca-bridge-for-all/1020

Here's the solution from that post:

So if you guys want to try, the basic steps for this fix were:

1) Hard reset the problematic MI424WR (with the power on, hold the reset button for 20 seconds, release)

2) Go into the advanced settings and uncheck automatic time update. (you probably want to do this before the router reconnects to the WAN, so you may want to leave the coax disconnected until you've completed the configuration, and i'm guessing the date just needs to be set sometime before sep 2012). I left the date set at its default (2007).

Keeping my fingers crossed that this works for good, although my guess is as good as any at this point. After this, based on what I saw in the network collects (mostly lack of UPNP traffic getting forwarded across the coax/ethernet bridge), I've got no other ideas. But what I do know is there is definitely something wrong in these routers, most likely the firmware, that Actiontec needs to address.

0 Likes
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

We sent you a message on our private support board to assist you  and we did not receive a response.  Please repost the issue if you are still experiencing a problem so that we may assist you. 

0 Likes
Re: Cablecard, WMC & XBOXs as extenders - XBOX lost connectivlty to HTPC - UPnP search for X
eonrite
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I filled out the form but was never contacted.  I just filled it out again.

Thanks.

0 Likes