Re: Caller ID and FIOS TV
Justin46
Legend

Success huh? Great! Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, popping up before the phone rings is kind of surprising, but I saw that withe the VCA PC client too, so I expected it. I wonder if I hooked up one of the old, phone line powered telephones if it would ring at the same time or be delayed too?

Training? I volunteer, I would do it for almost peanuts, some areas of Verizon most certainly do need some training, at least they should know what services they offer.

Re: Freedom Essentials. I think the price is the same. But yeah, to save some money, you certainly should look at getting a bundle contract.

Anyway, glad it is now working for you.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
TEM3
Enthusiast - Level 3

If anyone knows....  Is this a feature only available in certain areas of the country?  I am in Central NJ.  Will it eventually be available to me? 

I have the feature in SC (and like it), but it is provided by Time Warner.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@TEM3 wrote:

If anyone knows....  Is this a feature only available in certain areas of the country?  I am in Central NJ.  Will it eventually be available to me? 

I have the feature in SC (and like it), but it is provided by Time Warner.

Yes, it is available only in a few areas right now: TX (for some weeks) and MA (I saw one report from there yesterday or today that it was now available there). And yes, eventually you should get it. One limitation is that it requires the 1.7 level of the IMG, and that has not yet been rolled out yet to most of the country. And before you ask, no, there is no published schedule for either 1.7 or Caller ID on TV, at least that I have seen or heard of. Just sit back and wait, one day you will find the Caller ID function listed under Settings in the Menu, and then you will be able to activate it.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
kvelling1
Contributor - Level 1

"It's nice because it hits before the phone even rings. Tells me there's a lag in there but hey, it works so all is well."

FYI

Caller ID info is sent from the telephone company central office only one time in the silent interval between the first and second ring. How/when it is displayed depends on the actual 'telephone' equipment you use.

An old line powered telephone will work as I described above, since the phone's ringer is directly powered by the phone line power ringing voltage. However, newer --utility (ac) powered-- 'telephone' equipment (such as cordless, answering machines, fax machines, & the FIOS ONT) may handle the display differently, since they may 'generate' their own power ringing voltage developed from within the actual device and not from the telephone company central office. The phone may not 'ring' (make noise) coincident with the true first ring, thus allowing the CID info to appear before you 'hear' the ring.

If you have more than one phone with an electronic ringer (cordless, fax, etc) you may notice a difference of ringing cadence between them. Note that a cordless phone with a base unit and multiple remote units adds yet another variable --since the ringing 'noise' is developed in each handset after receiving a broadcasted 'radio' signal from the base.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Verizon press release today on Caller ID on TV:

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2009/verizon-launches-fios-tv.html

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
BDSou812
Enthusiast - Level 3

Up and running in upstate NY!Man Very Happy

0 Likes
MacMDB

Anyone have the roll out schedule for this for the rest of the country?

0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

It is available in my area

But I can't have it because I have Ringmate  (Second phone number that rings distinctively when the second number is called).

It says to call to cancel it for CallerID to work.

That is wierd, my Tivos do callerid on the same line just fine!

0 Likes
hokie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thought I'd post an update on requirements for CallerID.  I'm one of the new North Texas customers with Digital Voice, and all the other requirements Justin posted earlier in this thread.

After activating the feature on my STB and waiting a few days I called support.  They say that you must have Call Assistant in order for the service to work, and currently it is unavailable for my service.

I may be in a different situation, as I live in the small portion of Keller which does not have regular phone service available through Verizon (FIOS only became available to us last fall).  Not sure if that makes a difference on availability of the Call Assistant or not.

For now, looks like I'll have to wait.....

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@hokie wrote:

Thought I'd post an update on requirements for CallerID.  I'm one of the new North Texas customers with Digital Voice, and all the other requirements Justin posted earlier in this thread.

After activating the feature on my STB and waiting a few days I called support.  They say that you must have Call Assistant in order for the service to work, and currently it is unavailable for my service.

I may be in a different situation, as I live in the small portion of Keller which does not have regular phone service available through Verizon (FIOS only became available to us last fall).  Not sure if that makes a difference on availability of the Call Assistant or not.

For now, looks like I'll have to wait.....

Hmm, that is interesting. I got the requirements for Caller ID on TV from a Verizon FSC rep, sounds like you meet them by having Digital Voice, even though you are in the part of Keller that belongs I guess to AT&T (or that other small company that has some subdivisions in Keller, can't remember their name). The information I have does say "not available to customers with Mixed Media", whatever that means - I would guess fiber and copper, but???? When you say you have contacted support, do you mean Call Assistant support or FiOS support? If not Call Assistant support, you might try them - 1-888-483-5156, see if they can help.

Just a note: Call Assistant is having problems nationwide, it is not logging calls. My Caller ID on TV worked perfectly yesterday, isn't working today, and when I go to the Call Assistant website, no calls from today have been logged. I called CA Tech Support and they confirmed that no calls are being logged nationwide. They are working on the problem, no time frame for a resolution.

EDIT: Just tested the Caller ID on TV and it is now working, so the CA call logging problem is apparently fixed.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes