Caller ID doesn't work on TV
Good-Buddy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have called Tech Support on this trouble they said there was a problem but has not been fixed yet.  The trouble is that the Caller ID doesn't come up on the TV's for the past week.  It comes up on the phones and it is happening on my neighbor's sets too.  How can this be fixed other than calling in again and again?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Caller ID doesn't work on TV
Hubrisnxs
Legend

in my opinion, the Caller ID on TV is not a perfect system.  it's prone to stop working, and it's never been my experience that it's an outage.  in fact I have never heard of a caller id on tv outage.     It's not uncommon for two people to have the same or similiar problem, and have it be unrelated.   

without hearing that it's everyone on your block or having a bunch of other people from around the area jump in saying that they, too, are having trouble, I wouldn't think it's anything more than an isolated incident, and just a wierd coincidence that you both had a problem at the same time. 

the cause of the caller id on tv not working in most cases, is a change of IP address in your router.   so after a power outage, or a reboot of the router, the chain gets broken for the caller id to come all the way through.  So you may have had something similiar happen which caused your routers to get new ips at the same time, and thus have a problem at the same time, but the solution is the same,  you need to reform that chain.  so that is where disabling, rebooting and re-enabling comes into play.    it re-establishes that chain of communications so that the caller ID will display properly

just my .02 cents.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hey there, 

The important thing to know is, if this has ever worked.

If it's worked before then you are in luck,  as the next steps will probably fix it.

• Disable Caller ID Alerts.   (Menu > Settings > Caller ID > Alerts = Disable)
  • Reboot the Set Top Box     (Menu > Customer Support > In Home Agent > Reboot Set Top Box) ***IMPORTANT STEP
  • Enable Caller ID Alerts      (Menu > Settings > Caller ID > Alerts = Enable)

Allow 2-4 hours for Caller ID to return to a normal working state, often times it will be immediate.

if those above steps don't fix it then you'll want to reach out to Chat support 

http://www22.verizon.com/content/contactus/

If it's never worked, then there are some factors that could be involved that we won't be able to tell, but the chat support guys can give you the low down if that is the case.    

0 Likes
Good-Buddy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just a question , This is happening on both my sets: 1 std 1hddvr, and on neighbors in the neighborhood doesn't this sound more like a common problem not just with my set?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Good-Buddy wrote:

Just a question , This is happening on both my sets: 1 std 1hddvr, and on neighbors in the neighborhood doesn't this sound more like a common problem not just with my set?

I have had the Caller ID function working for about 1 1/2 years now. Two or three times it has quit working, the fix each time has been to also reboot the router, rebooting just the STBs has not fixed it. And despite what it says on the STB about it may take up to 24-48 hours to start working, it has always started working within 12 hours, usually less.

Try turning off Caller ID in the STBs, reboot the router, reboot the STBs, start Caller ID in the STBs, and sit back and wait a while, and see if it doesn't start working.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Good-Buddy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just did what you suggested but I still don't understand why my neighbors are having the same problem.  I will get back with the results of this try.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Good-Buddy wrote:

I just did what you suggested but I still don't understand why my neighbors are having the same problem.  I will get back with the results of this try.

My theory (and that is all it is): 

For whatever reason, a Verizon occasional regular reset of the STBs, a power failure affecting all STBs, a router reset, whatever, causes the STBs to reconnect to the router, but sometimes in a different sequence than the previous time. So each then gets a different IP address from the router (192.168.1.100, 101, 102, etc) than it had before. I believe there are specific port forwards defined in the router for Caller ID for each STB, and when the STBs connect at a different IP address than when the rule was set up, the function fails. But when you go through the disable/reboot/reboot/enable sequence it forces those rules to be re-created, and now all works, although it seems to take some time for the rules to get rebuilt.

Did your area lose power before it stopped working? Or did you see or hear the STBs reset? Anything area wide unusal happen?

Again, just my theory. I have no proof, but I can say that just doing the disable/reboot/enable of the STB has not seemed to ever work for me.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

in my opinion, the Caller ID on TV is not a perfect system.  it's prone to stop working, and it's never been my experience that it's an outage.  in fact I have never heard of a caller id on tv outage.     It's not uncommon for two people to have the same or similiar problem, and have it be unrelated.   

without hearing that it's everyone on your block or having a bunch of other people from around the area jump in saying that they, too, are having trouble, I wouldn't think it's anything more than an isolated incident, and just a wierd coincidence that you both had a problem at the same time. 

the cause of the caller id on tv not working in most cases, is a change of IP address in your router.   so after a power outage, or a reboot of the router, the chain gets broken for the caller id to come all the way through.  So you may have had something similiar happen which caused your routers to get new ips at the same time, and thus have a problem at the same time, but the solution is the same,  you need to reform that chain.  so that is where disabling, rebooting and re-enabling comes into play.    it re-establishes that chain of communications so that the caller ID will display properly

just my .02 cents.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I think your mileage may vary with rebooting the router.  most people at dslreports that have this issue, live and swear by the three step process.   I know it works for me personally, and any friend of mine who's had the problem.  That's not to say that the router reboot tossed in there isn't necessary for some cases, I just haven't had much experience where I've had to reboot the router as well.   Give it a shot though, it's definetely not going to hurt anything, and if it adds a consistency in how you re-establish that caller id connection then by all means, ya know.  I have been fortunate though, in that, the three step process works well for me. 

🙂

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Actually, according to my friend at Verizon. They are having issues with the Caller ID on TV in many areas. Says they think its a problem with a conflict with the ONT software and the caller ID software for the TV. They have the engineers working on it but do not have an ETA on the fix yet. It only affects some area, and then only some customers in those areas. He says they think it is affecting those customers that have Digital Voice for their phone service.

This is for the OP, do you or your neighbor have Digital Voice phone service?

0 Likes
Good-Buddy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just want to thank all who replied to my trouble seems you know more than Verizon Tech support that you call on the phone.  Again Thanks and Merry Christmas!!

0 Likes