Caller ID on TV, Verizon I want that hour of my life back!
nmilot
Contributor - Level 1

When messing around with my cable box last week, I noticed that there was a caller ID feature.  After selecting caller ID, it then went through a process of checking to see if caller ID was available for me, and it was.  Once I successfully activated it, I received a message saying that if it doesn't start working after 48 hours, call tech support.

Four days went by, and I called tech support on a Saturday.  After talking with them, they had to hand me off to another department which was closed on the weekends......

So I call on Monday night and I sit on the phone with a tech for 45 minutes.  During that time he had me log into verizon.com and attempt to activate Verizon Call Assistant.  When I try, I receive the message "Error occurred while activating your Verizon Call Assistant account. For further assistance, Please contact customer support."  So after leaving me on hold for about 15 minutes, the tech told me he would hang up, work on the issue, and call me back.  He didn't want me waiting on hold any longer.  He never called back that night or the next morning.

So i call support again, and this time I'm told that caller ID isn't available for me yet.  WHAT?  Why is my cable box telling me it is and why didn't the tech tell me that last night rather than wasting 45 minutes of my time??????  Wouldn't that be the first thing he checked?????

0 Likes
Re: Caller ID on TV, Verizon I want that hour of my life back!
PJL
Master - Level 3

@nmilot wrote:

When messing around with my cable box last week, I noticed that there was a caller ID feature.  After selecting caller ID, it then went through a process of checking to see if caller ID was available for me, and it was.  Once I successfully activated it, I received a message saying that if it doesn't start working after 48 hours, call tech support.

Four days went by, and I called tech support on a Saturday.  After talking with them, they had to hand me off to another department which was closed on the weekends......

So I call on Monday night and I sit on the phone with a tech for 45 minutes.  During that time he had me log into verizon.com and attempt to activate Verizon Call Assistant.  When I try, I receive the message "Error occurred while activating your Verizon Call Assistant account. For further assistance, Please contact customer support."  So after leaving me on hold for about 15 minutes, the tech told me he would hang up, work on the issue, and call me back.  He didn't want me waiting on hold any longer.  He never called back that night or the next morning.

So i call support again, and this time I'm told that caller ID isn't available for me yet.  WHAT?  Why is my cable box telling me it is and why didn't the tech tell me that last night rather than wasting 45 minutes of my time??????  Wouldn't that be the first thing he checked?????

If you're not in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Texas, then Caller ID on FiOS TV has not yet been activated (as of 12/15 at least).  And Verizon Call Assistant is NOT required for it to work when it becomes active in an area.  VCA is a service that allows you to hear your voicemail, see a call log,, get a caller ID popup on your PC,  etc. from a web site or by running a client on your PC.  It's been around for awhile and is a free "additional service" if you have Verizon phone service.  I just activated it recently.  

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I just spoke to my friend at Verizon tech support. He says that they have a list that must be met before caller id is working

1. Must be in MA, RI, or TX (at this time. will be available to others shortly)

2. Must either have Digital Voice or Call Assistant

3. Must have Guide version 1.7 (this should be nation wide now)

4. Cannot have ONT version 610. Works with all others but not the 610 (you will only find out what kind you have if you call tech support)

5. Must have cable box 2500 v3, will not work on v1 or v2. the 7100, 6200, 6416, 7216 boxes are all compatible.

He says that if all of these are not met, the caller ID will not work.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I just got an update from my buddy..

NY (VHO 5)  and Northern NJ (VHO 7) will have the caller ID available starting 12/16/09

contingent on the above requirements

nmilot
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for this.  I do live in MA.

I am at work now, but will confirm whatever I can when I get home and call again...........

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@spacedebris wrote:

I just spoke to my friend at Verizon tech support. He says that they have a list that must be met before caller id is working

1. Must be in MA, RI, or TX (at this time. will be available to others shortly)

2. Must either have Digital Voice or Call Assistant

3. Must have Guide version 1.7 (this should be nation wide now)

4. Cannot have ONT version 610. Works with all others but not the 610 (you will only find out what kind you have if you call tech support)

5. Must have cable box 2500 v3, will not work on v1 or v2. the 7100, 6200, 6416, 7216 boxes are all compatible.

He says that if all of these are not met, the caller ID will not work.

I hate to take issue with you, but I disagree with several of your items:

2) My understanding is that you must have Digital Voice -- or -- Verizon Freedom Essentials + Verizon Call Assistant (I of course do not have personal knowledge of the requirements, but this is what I have been told by a Verizon tech support rep, and I do have Freedom Essentials and VCA...note: I have VCA but I no longer use the PC client, it is not required to be running on a PC for Caller ID on TV to work).

3) I am pretty sure 1.7 is not nationwide yet, so still limited availability.

4) I have a 610X ONT, I just went out, opened the customer door, and looked, has a nice big sticker that says 610X. And Caller ID on TV most definitely works for me. So I believe your statement is incorrect. 

I agree with 1 and 5 Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I got these straight from Verizon. They will not support it unless it meets all 5 requirements

But if you look, I DID says it needs Digital voice  OR  Call Assistant 

1.7 is nation wide now (as of the 14th)

and according to tech support, they will not support and it officially does not work on the 610 ONT's, Now he may have had a typo in the model number, I'll check with him on that. But the model that is not compatible is the verison that does not have moca capibility. The model with no moca (still has coax of course, but cannot have the internet over coax) is not compatible.

0 Likes
demonstr8r
Enthusiast - Level 3

@spacedebris wrote:

I got these straight from Verizon. [...] 1.7 is nation wide now (as of the 14th)

We still don't have 1.7 in VHO 4 (VA), thus I can assure you that 1.7 is not nation wide now (as of the 17th), unless of course Verizon considers nationwide to mean one VHO on each coast, and one somewhere in between.  To be perfectly honest, based on what I've read here, I'm not sure that I want 1.7 (as is) just yet.  From the sounds of it the stretched guide is simply aweful.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@spacedebris wrote:

I got these straight from Verizon. They will not support it unless it meets all 5 requirements

But if you look, I DID says it needs Digital voice  OR  Call Assistant 

1.7 is nation wide now (as of the 14th)

and according to tech support, they will not support and it officially does not work on the 610 ONT's, Now he may have had a typo in the model number, I'll check with him on that. But the model that is not compatible is the verison that does not have moca capibility. The model with no moca (still has coax of course, but cannot have the internet over coax) is not compatible.

And I can assure you that what you got from your Verizon contact is at least partially if not completely wrong.

- There is already one post after yours that proves that 1.7 is NOT available nationwide. I am pretty sure that there are multiple VHOs left that do not yet have 1.7, but of course I have no way to verify that personally. But for sure 1.7 is required for Caller ID on TV.

- The ONT I have is from mid-2005 (a 610X), it most certainly does NOT have the Moca capability to have internet over coax, and I most certainly DO have Caller ID on TV.

- I know it requires Digital Voice or Call Assistant, my statement also included a requirement for Freedom Essentials. I am not sure on that point, I do have it, and mine works, but it may not be required (I guess at this point I would say probably not).

But, your Verizon contact is mistaken that all 5 conditions must be met.

I think we should stop this arguing and see if we can't get some "official" definitive statements from Verizon to get you, me, and everybody else, the straight scoop. What some FSC rep or install tech says may or may not be correct. I have made a request for definitive info via the CL Forum, and matcarl has done the same at dslreports. Lets see what we (hopefully) get.

OK?

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
VZ_Frank
Contributor - Level 2

The VM server in garden city ny is down, all of 516 & 631 area codes vm is out of service. This issue is being worked right now but as of yet there is no time/date for a resolution. I will post again when I receive another update.  Also parts of NJ are affected as well.

0 Likes