Customers With Disabilities

Contributor
0 Kudos

Can I backup a Motorola Qip6416-2 DVR to an external Hard Disk?

Since the storage for HD on the Motorola Qip6416-2 is quite limited, how can I back it up to an external hard disk?  Thanks...Audie
Silver Contributor IV
Device: Google G1
Plan: 20/5
0 Kudos

Re: Can I backup a Motorola Qip6416-2 DVR to an external Hard Disk?

Nope, they are working on it, but no ETA, and no "official" announcement on it at all.
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Tim.  Please keep us posted if you hear anything, as this seems a major limitation for an HD DVR.  Thanks again...
Silver Contributor V
Device: Actiontec Rev I
Plan: FDV\75 down 75 up
0 Kudos

I believe when Verizon finally enables ESATA it will only be on the Motorola 7216 DVR not the Motorola 6416 DVR. The only way to backup the 6416 is with a capture device as already posted in this forum.
Silver Contributor IV
0 Kudos

One would hope they would open up the USB port too. From what I have read its a DRM issue, not a port issue. So if they fix the DRM, it should not matter what port is opened. 
Silver Contributor II
Device: Blackberry 9630
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TimSykes wrote:
One would hope they would open up the USB port too. From what I have read its a DRM issue, not a port issue. So if they fix the DRM, it should not matter what port is opened. 

I know first-hand that Motorola has no plans for USB drive expansion.  They've spent a lot of time working on eSATA drive expansion, but they have not spent one minute on USB drive expansion.

DRM isn't the issue at this point and hasn't been for a long time.  It's making the feature work reliably, so, for example, an accidental disconnection or a bump against the eSATA cable doesn't corrupt the drive partition table.

Message Edited by KenAF on 01-15-2009 01:08 PM
If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
Silver Contributor IV
0 Kudos

good to know.

My Verizon

• Check Email
  • Add or Change Services
  • Suspend My Service
  • Manage Services

Support

Watch Fios