Can I change TV channels at Mom's house from my house?
oldladybadeyes

My Mom got a FiOS TV/phone/internet package last month so I re-read all the product literature and discovered that VZ has an app to make an iPad to behave like a TV remote control.  It works via the in-home wireless network. 

My Mom can't see well (even the large button remote) and when she gets the wrong channel, pushes other buttons and gets lost.  It's hard to diagnose over the phone and get her back to the channel she wants.

I have FiOS also and her account is linked to my email.  How can I change her channels from my house?  It would be a great help to not only correct her channel selection, but we could plan ahead and change it to Lawrence Welk and other shows she watches.  Thanks for any advice.

-Tom

0 Likes
Re: Can I change TV channels at Mom's house from my house?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi, the only way I know of that you can do this, is if you buy and install a Sling Box at her house. 

http://www.slingbox.com 

they have dropped the prices on these a lot, but I don't know of any free solution to do what you want to do.    The above works great, and a lot of people are very happy with that type of purchase. 

0 Likes
oldladybadeyes

Thanks, Hubrisnxs.  I was hoping that if iPads can change channels within a home network, that a PC could also.  And then I would leave an old, unloved but functional PC at Mom's and access it remotely to change the channels.  It just seems like it should be do-able, but maybe it's still a "first" for someone to figure out.

Does anybody have comments or ideas if this is reasonable?

0 Likes
Ribeye1
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is a program ("youwave") you can install on your computer that will allow you to run android apps on  your computer.  If you have a PC at your mom's house you can install the youwave program and the VZ android app, then access the computer using one of many remote access programs from your home computer.  I don't know if there is a similar solution for Apple products.  

I haven't tried this particular setup, but I have used various parts and pieces to accomplish something similar.  

0 Likes