Switch Account

Can I have 2 HD DVRs in the same room, and control them separately?

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 1 of 10
(8,220 Views)

New FIOS TV being installed in two weeks, making the switch from Dish Network. 

If I have two DVRs in the ame room, and two remotes, can the remotes be set up to work with each DVR separately, or will one remote cause both DVRs to respond?  WIth my Dish Network DVRs, I can set a remote code for each - can I do the same with the two DVRs I'll be receiving?

Thanks!

Message Edited by frabman on 12-05-2008 11:51 AM
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Re: Can I have 2 HD DVRs in the same room, and control them separately?

Message 2 of 10
(8,214 Views)
no, 1 remote will change both. all the STB use the same IR signals.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 10
(8,196 Views)

Well, that sucks.

Are there other people with 2 DVRs in the same room?  Any suggestions on how to make a setup like this work?  This is especially bothersome because the DVRs are going to be set up outside line-of-sight (with the rest of the component stack) and I was planning to get an IR-to-RF remote entender to control them.

Dish Network is expensive, but their hardware is the best.  Now I wonder if I need to cancel the TV portion of my order, and just get the internet/phone service.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Message 4 of 10
(8,193 Views)
The only thing I can really think of is to put something in the way of the line of site of the DVR you dont want to use. 
Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Message 5 of 10
(8,180 Views)

I think he wants to use both.

I would recommend seeing if there is a RF remote you can get that will do what you want and then use ir repeatres at the STB's and put something to block each other from seeing  the other ir repeater then you would get what you want I think.

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Message 6 of 10
(8,171 Views)
If you think Dish Network is expensive, wait til you start adding up the costs of the DVR's onto the programming cost of VZ
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 7 of 10
(8,128 Views)

Replace one of your Verizon DVRs with a TiVo.  I've had a Verizon 6416 and a TiVoHD with an upgraded 500GB hard disk for about two years now.  I prefer the TiVo especially the program guide information.

The TiVo doesn't do Video-on-Demand, but you would still have the Verizon DVR for that.

Since you can control multiple TiVos from a single remote in the same room, you could add a second TiVo if you needed three DVRs.

Message Edited by DallasTX on 12-06-2008 06:39 AM
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

PPV Boxing In HD 59.99

Message 8 of 10
(8,098 Views)
will the delahoya and pacquio fight show on hd in the northern nj on channel 1001 in ttown of bergenfield, nj
Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 9 of 10
(7,974 Views)

@DallasTX wrote:

Replace one of your Verizon DVRs with a TiVo.  I've had a Verizon 6416 and a TiVoHD with an upgraded 500GB hard disk for about two years now.  I prefer the TiVo especially the program guide information.

The TiVo doesn't do Video-on-Demand, but you would still have the Verizon DVR for that.

Since you can control multiple TiVos from a single remote in the same room, you could add a second TiVo if you needed three DVRs.

Message Edited by DallasTX on 12-06-2008 06:39 AM

As it seems that all the shows I want to watch are on at the same time, having two DVRs (4 tuners) would resolve the "what to record" problem I keep running into.  The fact that you can control two TiVo DVRs with one remote is a great plus.  However, how did you hook both of your DVRs to one set?

Contributor
Contributor

Message 10 of 10
(7,657 Views)
if you set them up so they are not to close to each other then aim the remote in the aera of what dvr you want. just have the dvrs out of each others line of site for the ir.and it should work.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.