Can I reformat a used esata drive to expand my DVR (7232)
FMMike

I appologize in advance if this question has already been answered but most of what I found was related to a new hard drive. Can I use a hard drive removed from a PC and installed in an Esata enclosure to exapand my DVR (model 7232). If so,...do I need to format on the PC first prior to connecting to the DVR and formating? 

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I reformat a used esata drive to expand my DVR (7232)
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

None of the currently available FiOS DVRs support external hard drives.  It doesn't matter if the drive is new or used or how it's formatted.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@eljefe wrote:

None of the currently available FiOS DVRs support external hard drives.  It doesn't matter if the drive is new or used or how it's formatted.

The 7xxx DVR's and Cisco DVR do support esata so the question is legimate.  I don't think, but don't know, that the drives have to be formated first.

The Quantum VMS doesn't support an external drive.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Huh.  When I had a 7232 I never could get an external drive to work. 

In any case, I'm happy to stand corrected.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note it must be esata.  Common USB external drives do not work.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Make sure the drive you are using does not have a sleep/power save mode.  If it does you need to disable it or the drive will not function porperly.

I believe that the DVR formats a "new" drive attached since it is paired to that DVR, uses a non-PC/MAC format, and you can only view the recorded programs on the DVR the drive is paired with.

0 Likes