Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

Can I use my own Motorola 6416 with Verizon Fios?

thermodog
Contributor
Contributor

Can I use my own Motorola 6416 with Verizon Fios?

Message 1 of 3
(1,621 Views)

I'm thinking of buying a Motorola 6416 (or similar) DVR on eBay to use with my Verizon Fios, so that I can save the monthly rental fee.  Will that work?  Do I need a Cable Card from Verizon?

2 REPLIES 2
CRobGauth
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Can I use my own Motorola 6416 with Verizon Fios?

Message 2 of 3
(1,609 Views)

No.

Verizon has never sold the 6416 (or any of their other STBs).
So anything listed on eBay or any other site is stolen or otherwise not obtained properly (some claim they are found when left behind by previous tenants).

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
tns2
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Can I use my own Motorola 6416 with Verizon Fios?

Message 3 of 3
(1,586 Views)

You wouldn't want a 6416 even if it was allowed.  Those channels in mpeg4 will not be viewable.

None of the Verizon STB were ever SOLD.  You can however use certain TIVO boxes and some other solutions(such as some computer cards).  Note that you will still need to rent a cablecard with these devices to get all your programming.  As mentioned before make sure you get one that supports mpeg4 to make sure you can get those channels that are so encoded.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.