Re: Can't get My Book AV 500 esata drive working with Motorola QIP-7216
Verk
Enthusiast - Level 3
Got my RMA from WD. It works. There's a white LED on the front of the drive. With my original drive, the LED would come on when I powered the drive, but it would go out. Now, the white LED stays illuminated.
0 Likes
BriLam

I have the same LED but mine has always stayed illuminated. Did you do anything special when connecting it? What order did you connect them in, if any? Still having trouble with mine. Have pretty much given up..... Seems like a lost cause and a waste of $100. I think I hear cablevision calling my name. We'll see.

0 Likes
Verk
Enthusiast - Level 3
I connected USB to set top first. Then powered drive.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Verk wrote:
I connected USB to set top first. Then powered drive.

I hope you mean eSATA not USB since the USB ports aren't supported on Verizon's STBs.  Big difference in what interface is used and the WD drives support both (different connectors).

0 Likes
diverindfw

I have the 1TB WD My Book AV DVR Expander working now.  Here is how I managed to get it working: Plugged in the external drive to the eSATA port and powered it on, then unplugged the electrical power and the coax from the Motorola STB.  I let it sit for about 60 seconds in this state, then plugged everything back in, coax cable first.  Once the STB restarted, it recognized the external hard drive.  You just kinda have to fish around with it.  I do have the QIP-7216.

0 Likes
BriLam

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, no dice for me.

I ordered a new eSATA cable and am hoping that does the trick as it has for others. After that, I'm out of ideas.

I love the fact that I ordered this hard drive specifically because Verizon supported it and, now that it doesn't work, Verizon has no ideas. I LOVE IT.

0 Likes
Verk
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, I meant eSATA.

I noticed:

originally ordered P/N WDBACS5000EBK-NEVZ

WD replaced with P/N WDBACS5000EBK-NESN

I remember having problems finding 500G Verizon model on WD's site.

My advice, get the 1T model.

0 Likes
BriLam

Quick update on my situation: I received my new eSATA cable and, shockingly, it didn't work. So I now have a 1 TB eSATA drive sitting there doing nothing like it has been doing for 1.5 months. Outstanding.

0 Likes
johnme1
Enthusiast - Level 2

brilam,

please excuse the recommendation, have you tried, menu > customer support > in-home agent > reboot stb?  I know it sounds silly as you have probably had the thing boot a hundred times,soft and hard, but it worked for me and others having similar problem. what is different you might wonder?   for some reason the dvr recognizes the drive during that reboot.  mysterious, but give it a try.

I do not have a wd; I use an iomega 2tb professional esata--works great, but, warning, the price of the thing has gone up markedly over the past month. 

oh yeah, I almost forgot:  I did kick it once and then draged it in around the property for a while as my dog urinated on it, the dvr that is, and then reboot the stb. works like a champ, but now it smells.  if you need urinating dog, I have dog for hire.  🙂

good luck. 

freyguy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I thougt I would add my crappy experience here also.

I wanted more storage, but found that all the reccomended drives were on backorder due to the high demand.  I ordered the Fantom 2TB GreenDrive Esata, as the DirectTV guys were having good luck with it.  I tried hooking it up to my 7216 a few weeks ago, and after a few nights of troubleshooting, I called Verizon.  After the guy argued with me that the Esata port was not enabled, I informed him of the new features in v1.9.  So I had to inform the tech support, and this was an immediate clue as to how helpful he would be.  He eventually gave up and sent me a new 7232 HD Dvr.

Finally watched enough shows to swap out the box last night.  Everthing went good with swap, then I attempted to add the hard drive.  About 8 reboots later, it recognized it!!  I was so dang relieved.  Then we sat there to begin watching the 9:00pm shows that would record, and all of the sudden, the box rebooted twice by itself.  When it came back, the hard drive is now not recognized, and I can't get it back.  The verizon support tech on the phone just informed me that they don't support anything other than the three reccomended HD's, and he couldn't help me anymore.  He said they have more difficulty with any HD over 1TB.

I expressed my displeasure with their service and software, and told them they better get their crap straight in the new software release. I am just upset with this whole issue as I don't feel they put enough r&d into this before releasing.  If Comcast was available in my area, I would be making an appointment right now!  I've also tried rebooting as described above with the in home agent, only using the keys on the front of the box, wearing different color socks while standing on my head when rebooting, nothing works.  **bleep** you technology!!!!

0 Likes