Can't record shows from my computer
mumap5
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been trying to set up a TV show to record from my computer for the last hour with no success. Everytime I locate the TV show and click the Record button a dialog box displays telling me to enter my username and password (FYI - the Verizon website already displays me as logged in). After reentering my username and password the webpage loads back to the Media page about Flex View.

0 Likes
Re: Can't record shows from my computer
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hey there.  I had the same problem with using firefox and chrome,  for some reason I am forced to use IE to do the recordings from the website. 

Also Some folks have TWO usernames

one to pay their bill

one to do their email

There are two situations,   if you're not using the username and password to pay your bill then that is your problem.  

If you recently went through a merger between those two usernames and the websites (a lot of folks did) then there may be an issue with your username and password., but the chat support may be able to help you with that.

mumap5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info. I talked with support and I need to look at my DVR settings. Thanks again.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Hey there.  I had the same problem with using firefox and chrome,  for some reason I am forced to use IE to do the recordings from the website.  

Have you tried lately using Firefox or Google Chrome? I am on Windows 7 64-bit, and I use Firefox (3.6.13) 100% of the time, and I have absolutely no problem scheduling recordings, in fact just did so a few minutes ago after reading your post to verify that there still was no problem.

And just to see what would happen, I logged off of Firefox and started Google Chrome (8.0.552.224), logged into My Verizon there, and successfully scheduled a recording. Then I logged off of Chrome and started Apple Safari (4.0.5), logged into My Verizon, and successfully secheduled a recording. After each I verified directly on the DVR that a recording had been successfully scheduled, and then deleted the scheduled recording before starting the next test.

So the net is, anybody absolutely should be able to use IE, Firefox, Google Chrome, or Safari to access the DVR and schedule recordings, at least under Windows - I don't know what if anything might be different under OS/X or Linux.

Now, why might it not work? My guess would be either a setting in your browser or an add-on to your browser. I have experienced in the past problems with some websites not being able to use some functions due to conflicts with add-ons. I suggest anybody that can for sure access their DVR via the web at all but not manage recordings try starting their browser without add-ons and see whether it will work that way. And if so, then you need to experiment to find out which add-on is causing the problem.

I hope this helps. Anybody really ought to be able to use their browser of choice to manage recordings. And my experience today says they can.

Keller, TX 76248

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

try clearing your cookies and temp files and try again. It may just have a bad temp file or cookie stored.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

@Justin wrote:

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Have you tried lately using Firefox or Google Chrome? I am on Windows 7 64-bit, and I use Firefox (3.6.13) 100% of the time, and I have absolutely no problem scheduling recordings, in fact just did so a few minutes ago after reading your post to verify that there still was no problem.

And just to see what would happen, I logged off of Firefox and started Google Chrome (8.0.552.224), logged into My Verizon there, and successfully scheduled a recording. Then I logged off of Chrome and started Apple Safari (4.0.5), logged into My Verizon, and successfully secheduled a recording. After each I verified directly on the DVR that a recording had been successfully scheduled, and then deleted the scheduled recording before starting the next test.

So the net is, anybody absolutely should be able to use IE, Firefox, Google Chrome, or Safari to access the DVR and schedule recordings, at least under Windows - I don't know what if anything might be different under OS/X or Linux.

Now, why might it not work? My guess would be either a setting in your browser or an add-on to your browser. I have experienced in the past problems with some websites not being able to use some functions due to conflicts with add-ons. I suggest anybody that can for sure access their DVR via the web at all but not manage recordings try starting their browser without add-ons and see whether it will work that way. And if so, then you need to experiment to find out which add-on is causing the problem.

I hope this helps. Anybody really ought to be able to use their browser of choice to manage recordings. And my experience today says they can.

Keller, TX 76248

For that to happen, it has to be the absolute latest and greatest of each browser,   when it did not work for me, it was because I wasn't updated with firefox or chrome, and now it works fine.  I choose not to tell people to upgrade their browsers because I don't like the conversation that ensues afterwards.       I have had bad luck, and firefox die hards almost always insist that they are fully upto date, when often times they are not.  

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Hubrisnxs wrote:
For that to happen, it has to be the absolute latest and greatest of each browser,   when it did not work for me, it was because I wasn't updated with firefox or chrome, and now it works fine.  I choose not to tell people to upgrade their browsers because I don't like the conversation that ensues afterwards.       I have had bad luck, and firefox die hards almost always insist that they are fully upto date, when often times they are not.  

Not true, at least for me. I am one of those people that almost never updates when something new comes out, at least I don't if I have a choice. I only updated to the most current Firefox (3.6.x) within the last month, I used 3.5.xx levels until then, for years, and all worked fine with My Verizon and accessing the DVR, and usually at least 2 or 3 levels back on 3.5. And as for Google Chrome, how could you be backlevel? Chrome does an automatic update whether you want it to or not, you don't have any choice (at least that is my understanding, and what has happened to me).

I stick by my comments and suggestions.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@Justin wrote:

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Not true, at least for me. I am one of those people that almost never updates when something new comes out, at least I don't if I have a choice. I only updated to the most current Firefox (3.6.x) within the last month, I used 3.5.xx levels until then, for years, and all worked fine with My Verizon and accessing the DVR, and usually at least 2 or 3 levels back on 3.5. And as for Google Chrome, how could you be backlevel? Chrome does an automatic update whether you want it to or not, you don't have any choice (at least that is my understanding, and what has happened to me).

I stick by my comments and suggestions.

Keller, TX 76248

You're welcome to do so,  we both have anecdotal evidence that contradicts one another, so it's a matter of real world experience and us just giving our advice the best ways we both know how.  no harm no foul.   I have my experiences with that to the contrary and you've had good experience that contradicts mine. 

how does one reconcile that?      IDK.  Either way it's not too big a deal for me.    I just know from my experience it makes a difference, and I've seen it myself and had friends do it themselves on their machines.  Maybe you're right that it has to do with the add-ons but for me and fixing it, I never played with the add-ons,  I just simply upgraded, or changed browsers and it magically worked without clearing cache or cookies etc....

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

how does one reconcile that?      IDK.  Either way it's not too big a deal for me.    I just know from my experience it makes a difference, and I've seen it myself and had friends do it themselves on their machines.  Maybe you're right that it has to do with the add-ons but for me and fixing it, I never played with the add-ons,  I just simply upgraded, or changed browsers and it magically worked without clearing cache or cookies etc....

I agree, have never cleared the cache.  As far as cookies go, I have an add-on that deletes all cookies except those I have told it to keep, and I keep all Verizon cookies, among others, and have for a long, long time. So I have never had to remove cookies to get something like DVR scheduling to work.

One thought about upgrading to the most current level; sometimes, at least with Firefox, existing add-ons on an older level are incompatible with the new level, and get removed or disabled as part of the upgrade. That could possibly account for not working for someone on an old level and magically working on the new level. Don't know....

Anyway, I just feel that telling folks "it doesn't work on Firefox or Chrome" is really not the best advice, because if that is the browser of their choice they should be helped every way possible to make it work there, not "use IE." Just MHO of course.... Smiley Happy

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
mumap5
Enthusiast - Level 2

I believe I figured out why I am having issues. I looked at my DVR Remote Access under Settings and my LoginID is displaying a different ID than i use to login now. Earlier today, for some reason, Verizon made me change my login ID. Now the one I login with and the one on my DVR are different. DOes anyone know how to fix this? thanks in advance.

0 Likes