Re: Can the buffer be recorded on the FIOS DVR (QIP-6416)?
RWM

It would be nice too if you could record the buffer.   I pay ~36 per month, cannot recall the exact number so that I have 3 tv's all with dual tuners.  I hate the fact that I cannot fully utilize the system.

When I had Dish Network at my old house (Too many trees here, so I went Fios), I could watch two shows at the same time.  watch channel 1 PAUSE and goto channel 2 watch for a while PAUSE and go back to channel 1 where I paused it and so on....GREAT feature which I dearly miss.

0 Likes
WithAK

Thanks for the FIOS info. Now listen to this simple scenario: I'm 20 minutes into watching a 1/2 hr program. Door bell rings. I press PAUSE. After 15 minutes, I say "oh FIOS only remembers 1/2 hour and the guy at the door is interesting, so I'll press RECORD and come back to it" Seems obvious and simple. The DVR has the recording. It knows what I have paused. But responds "cannot record a program in the past!!!   What possibly could a problem be?  How about investing in one TiVo for your programming staff and let them share it for a night each and get an idea of how a DVR works. I doubt they have any copyrighted features.

Side note!! Does anybody know how to see what sporting events are on right now? It must be here somewhere. Every other Cable or Satellite guide has it. I think I heard FIOS say that they aren't responsible. That they buy the guide from Tv-Guide or something!!!??

I hope that if my fiber optic cable is defective, I don't hear that they aren't responsible... that the cable is made by Chinese Optical!!

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Press Record instead of Pause to start with. Problem solved. Yeah, you will need to go find the proper place to resume viewing, but gee, is that really so tough?

I have no idea how a Tivo works, never had one, probably will never have one. If a Tvio handles that scenario, great for Tivo, I suggest you go buy one. Maybe some time in the future the FiOS DVR might work that way, but truthfully, I don't particularly care, it really doesn't interest me, and I especially don't want to pay what a Tivo costs to buy and use.

0 Likes
markperez
Contributor - Level 1

@RWM wrote:

It would be nice too if you could record the buffer.   I pay ~36 per month, cannot recall the exact number so that I have 3 tv's all with dual tuners.  I hate the fact that I cannot fully utilize the system.

When I had Dish Network at my old house (Too many trees here, so I went Fios), I could watch two shows at the same time.  watch channel 1 PAUSE and goto channel 2 watch for a while PAUSE and go back to channel 1 where I paused it and so on....GREAT feature which I dearly miss.

This is suppose to be fixed in the 1.6 version (I hope you don't have it because that would mean it isn't working).
0 Likes
spta97
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tivo sets the bar for DVR functionality.  They did it first and got it right.  The Verizon DVR is not bad and leaps and bounds above the cable companies.  However, it is still no Tivo 😞

0 Likes
WithAK

Press Record instead of Pause to start with. Problem solved. Yeah, you will need to go find the proper place to resume viewing, but gee, is that really so tough?

{please keep your posts courteous} Do what you didn't do? How is that 'Problem solved'? {off topic/political}

"I have no idea how a Tivo works," Right {off topic/political}. Simple solutions are so easy.

Message Edited by CharlotteS on 09-07-2008 09:07 PM
0 Likes
WithAK

{no personal comments please} "the Guide has the TV Guide logo on it, my understanding is that the data acutally comes from some other company, and that Verizon has a contract with that company through then end of 2008 "

What has that got to do with the question?  I'm sure FIOS doesn't make the fiber optic cable. Is 'we buy the cable from someone else', the answer to questions of no reception? Or cadillac telling me where their brakes come from the answer to my brakes not working? {please keep your posts courteous}

Message Edited by CharlotteS on 09-07-2008 09:09 PM
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

"How is that "problem solved"?

Well, you obviously cannot undo what you did in the past, but if in the future you did hit Record instead of Pause you would have the show recorded to go back and watch, which I understood to be what you wanted. It simply is not possible to go back after the program has ended and record it. I thought you were looking for help {please keep your posts courteous} Smiley Mad

I'm sorry you were not happy with my response.{off topic}

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
Keller, TX

Message Edited by CharlotteS on 09-07-2008 09:11 PM
0 Likes