Cannot change channels
RG6251
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the IPC100 with software 7.5 and after 5 minutes, I CANNOT change channels with my Samsung QLED remote and Alexa. I HAVE HAD NO ISSUES FOR 2 YEARS AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THESE ISSUES STARTED when this stupid software was updated.

I re-paired the remote and re-enabled the Fios Alexa skill MULTIPLE TIMES AND AFTER 5 MINUTES, I CANNOT CHANGE CHANNELS!!!

I have rebooted the IPC100 and it temporarily fixes the problem and then after a number of minutes, the problem comes back.

What gives??  This is not right. 😞

0 Likes
Re: Cannot change channels
RG6251
Enthusiast - Level 3

I meant the IPC1100/VMS1100.

Ever since the Verizon software update, I'm having sporadic issues changing channels with my Samsung QLED remote AND Alexa. When I'm able to change channels, I can do so using my Samsung remote or Alexa,, and when I'm not able to change channels, both fail to change channels. Sounds like a Verizon software issue. 

Like I said, both (samsung remote and alexa) have worked fine for 2 years but all of a sudden, since Verizon updated the software (v7.5) on these STB's, the problem started.  A couple of weeks ago, I removed all banners and info bars because I CANNOT STAND THIS NEW **bleep** INTERFACE. When I am able to change channels, they change a SNAIL'S PACE.

One thing I noticed, if it offers a hint to anyone, when I click on the Samsung remote back button, I'm able to change channels again. I see nothing on the screen when I change channels because I choose to NOT display the new Verizon interface when I change channels and STILL channels change very slowly.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RG6251 wrote:

I meant the IPC1100/VMS1100.

Ever since the Verizon software update, I'm having sporadic issues changing channels with my Samsung QLED remote AND Alexa. When I'm able to change channels, I can do so using my Samsung remote or Alexa,, and when I'm not able to change channels, both fail to change channels. Sounds like a Verizon software issue. 

Like I said, both (samsung remote and alexa) have worked fine for 2 years but all of a sudden, since Verizon updated the software (v7.5) on these STB's, the problem started.  A couple of weeks ago, I removed all banners and info bars because I CANNOT STAND THIS NEW **bleep** INTERFACE. When I am able to change channels, they change a SNAIL'S PACE.

One thing I noticed, if it offers a hint to anyone, when I click on the Samsung remote back button, I'm able to change channels again. I see nothing on the screen when I change channels because I choose to NOT display the new Verizon interface when I change channels and STILL channels change very slowly.

Could be another bug in the new firmware. Did you look at this page for troubleshooting help with the Alexa:

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/tv/equipment/alexa

0 Likes
RG6251
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply. I didn't check Alexa troubleshooting.

It has to be a bug in the STB firmware updates. It's the common denominator between using the samsung remote and alexa. . Last night, I had to reboot the IPC1100/VMS1100 a couple of times in attempts to fix. It worked but kept getting the problem. Seemed to work ok today.

Whenever I cannot change channels, I hit the Back button on the remote and it seems to work in being able to change the channels again. I'm thinking  there's an issue I cannot see on the screen because I have the info bar disabled because I cannot stand the new Verizon interface.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RG6251 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I didn't check Alexa troubleshooting.

It has to be a bug in the STB firmware updates. It's the common denominator between using the samsung remote and alexa. . Last night, I had to reboot the IPC1100/VMS1100 a couple of times in attempts to fix. It worked but kept getting the problem. Seemed to work ok today.

Whenever I cannot change channels, I hit the Back button on the remote and it seems to work in being able to change the channels again. I'm thinking  there's an issue I cannot see on the screen because I have the info bar disabled because I cannot stand the new Verizon interface.

I assumed you were on VMS 4100/IPC4100 hardware. Don't know what the updates did to 1100 Series hardware. I'll send a note to tech about the problem and see what they say.

0 Likes
RG6251
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you!  I'm still thinking that every time they update /tweak this firmware, I need to pair again my Samsung remote and  disable and re-enable the Fios skill in Alexa.

Possibly both devices (Sammy remote and Alexa) see the STB as a new device every time there's a Verizon firmware update? Or something like that.

Or there was a something in one or more of the recent firmware updates that's causing inability to see these devices?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RG6251 wrote:

Thank you!  I'm still thinking that every time they update /tweak this firmware, I need to pair again my Samsung remote and  disable and re-enable the Fios skill in Alexa.

Possibly both devices (Sammy remote and Alexa) see the STB as a new device every time there's a Verizon firmware update? Or something like that.

This might be true!

Also Tech says I need unit address of the box from Menu - Settings - System Info, and the most recent time that the issue occured. If you can give me that info in a PM, I'll send to tech and see what they come up with.

0 Likes