Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get gifts fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same-day delivery.

Cannot change channels

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Cannot change channels

Message 1 of 7
(257 Views)

I have the IPC100 with software 7.5 and after 5 minutes, I CANNOT change channels with my Samsung QLED remote and Alexa. I HAVE HAD NO ISSUES FOR 2 YEARS AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THESE ISSUES STARTED when this stupid software was updated.

I re-paired the remote and re-enabled the Fios Alexa skill MULTIPLE TIMES AND AFTER 5 MINUTES, I CANNOT CHANGE CHANNELS!!!

I have rebooted the IPC100 and it temporarily fixes the problem and then after a number of minutes, the problem comes back.

What gives??  This is not right. 😞

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: Cannot change channels

Message 2 of 7
(219 Views)

I meant the IPC1100/VMS1100.

Ever since the Verizon software update, I'm having sporadic issues changing channels with my Samsung QLED remote AND Alexa. When I'm able to change channels, I can do so using my Samsung remote or Alexa,, and when I'm not able to change channels, both fail to change channels. Sounds like a Verizon software issue. 

Like I said, both (samsung remote and alexa) have worked fine for 2 years but all of a sudden, since Verizon updated the software (v7.5) on these STB's, the problem started.  A couple of weeks ago, I removed all banners and info bars because I CANNOT STAND THIS NEW **bleep** INTERFACE. When I am able to change channels, they change a SNAIL'S PACE.

One thing I noticed, if it offers a hint to anyone, when I click on the Samsung remote back button, I'm able to change channels again. I see nothing on the screen when I change channels because I choose to NOT display the new Verizon interface when I change channels and STILL channels change very slowly.

Highlighted
MVP MVP
MVP

Message 3 of 7
(204 Views)

@RG6251 wrote:

I meant the IPC1100/VMS1100.

Ever since the Verizon software update, I'm having sporadic issues changing channels with my Samsung QLED remote AND Alexa. When I'm able to change channels, I can do so using my Samsung remote or Alexa,, and when I'm not able to change channels, both fail to change channels. Sounds like a Verizon software issue. 

Like I said, both (samsung remote and alexa) have worked fine for 2 years but all of a sudden, since Verizon updated the software (v7.5) on these STB's, the problem started.  A couple of weeks ago, I removed all banners and info bars because I CANNOT STAND THIS NEW **bleep** INTERFACE. When I am able to change channels, they change a SNAIL'S PACE.

One thing I noticed, if it offers a hint to anyone, when I click on the Samsung remote back button, I'm able to change channels again. I see nothing on the screen when I change channels because I choose to NOT display the new Verizon interface when I change channels and STILL channels change very slowly.

Could be another bug in the new firmware. Did you look at this page for troubleshooting help with the Alexa:

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/tv/equipment/alexa

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 4 of 7
(188 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I didn't check Alexa troubleshooting.

It has to be a bug in the STB firmware updates. It's the common denominator between using the samsung remote and alexa. . Last night, I had to reboot the IPC1100/VMS1100 a couple of times in attempts to fix. It worked but kept getting the problem. Seemed to work ok today.

Whenever I cannot change channels, I hit the Back button on the remote and it seems to work in being able to change the channels again. I'm thinking  there's an issue I cannot see on the screen because I have the info bar disabled because I cannot stand the new Verizon interface.

Highlighted
MVP MVP
MVP

Message 5 of 7
(186 Views)

@RG6251 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I didn't check Alexa troubleshooting.

It has to be a bug in the STB firmware updates. It's the common denominator between using the samsung remote and alexa. . Last night, I had to reboot the IPC1100/VMS1100 a couple of times in attempts to fix. It worked but kept getting the problem. Seemed to work ok today.

Whenever I cannot change channels, I hit the Back button on the remote and it seems to work in being able to change the channels again. I'm thinking  there's an issue I cannot see on the screen because I have the info bar disabled because I cannot stand the new Verizon interface.

I assumed you were on VMS 4100/IPC4100 hardware. Don't know what the updates did to 1100 Series hardware. I'll send a note to tech about the problem and see what they say.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 6 of 7
(143 Views)

Thank you!  I'm still thinking that every time they update /tweak this firmware, I need to pair again my Samsung remote and  disable and re-enable the Fios skill in Alexa.

Possibly both devices (Sammy remote and Alexa) see the STB as a new device every time there's a Verizon firmware update? Or something like that.

Or there was a something in one or more of the recent firmware updates that's causing inability to see these devices?

Highlighted
MVP MVP
MVP

Message 7 of 7
(133 Views)

@RG6251 wrote:

Thank you!  I'm still thinking that every time they update /tweak this firmware, I need to pair again my Samsung remote and  disable and re-enable the Fios skill in Alexa.

Possibly both devices (Sammy remote and Alexa) see the STB as a new device every time there's a Verizon firmware update? Or something like that.

This might be true!

Also Tech says I need unit address of the box from Menu - Settings - System Info, and the most recent time that the issue occured. If you can give me that info in a PM, I'll send to tech and see what they come up with.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.