Captions setting
Alb8
Enthusiast - Level 1

top box is connected to cable. Then connected HDMI from back of the top box to HDMI of LG 6450.

picture on lg tv is excellent, but captions are just ok. I am aware that the captions setting rely on the top box.

i want to use caption setting within lg tv circuitry instead. How can I use lg instead? I had spoken to lg customer service.

they said I have to call Verizon to turn off captions and bypass to lg tv.  I think this is impossible.

i appreciate reply. I know the caption setting within lg tv is superb to Verizon top box's caption circuitry.

if you wonder how I know. I have seen excellent yellow captions on lg tv at tv retail stores. And i am  deaf. 

0 Likes
Re: Captions setting
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe most boxes do not pass Cc data.

Most likely what you have seen is either over the air or analog channels carried  via cable.

BTW I have quantum box and CV is white on black background.

Looks pretty good to me.

And at leastwith quantum, you can modify cc settings.

Go to menu settings system accessibility closed captions.

Includes font and background color

0 Likes
Alb8
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is Quantum dvr ? Some dvr has tuner. Do you mean I bypass Verizon top box and hook up to quantum?

your comment about antenna and analog. through cable is intriguing. I know I can hook up directly to  tv by antenna. Or coaxial but picture is foggy. But by antenna or analog through cable is not clear.  Do you mean hooking up to top box by HDMI and do remote control settings for antenna or cable.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Quantum is their latest STB product.

What model STB do you have?

Try the same menu options to see if you can control CC settings.

Not sure what you mean by foggy.

FIOS has local channels only that are not encrypted on their coax.

In most cases, the only way you will see CC directly on TV is if it gets the native signal.
That would have to be via antenna or cable. If it is anything other than broadcast channels, it would have to be some level of unecrypted content that you typically don't get from cable.

Most stores with TVs have canned content that would have CC natively.

Alb8
Enthusiast - Level 1

STB: Motorola 73222 on Verizon cable. New install one month ago.

Re: foggy.. The pictures are visible, but something like steam on my glasses. I said foggy cuz it's not as clear as HDMI picture. I can see the huge difference; HDMI superb and excellent.

i recall when connecting lg tv for the first time, it scans Antenna, coaxial., I cannot remember third. and fourth is cable.

after antenna scan, it found one channel  Coaxial found three channels..Maybe it's reverse.other way around.... I cannot remember # of channels for cable.

if you can tell me how to reset it with lg remote. I may try one more time. I may hookup to back of tv directly before it started scanning.  Maybe it causes "foggy". 

All captions setting settings are from that STD.

I don't know about any other than broad channels. 

Maybe I hear more from you then I call lg customer service. Or Verizon customer service.

you deserve a kudos.

0 Likes
Alb8
Enthusiast - Level 1

Re: canned captions.. I saw some tvs at sports bars. The captions, color yellow and quite clear..bold.. Then I took closer and its label says LG. They were several. I notice other places ...restaurants.. Always find tvs with yellow capts are LG. I don't know why.  I don't what STD they use...maybe dish.

0 Likes