Change End time of Recording in Progress?
Tlon
Enthusiast - Level 2
I know I can change the start and end time of a single show in the View Schedule menu, but this only works before the show has started recording.  Once the show has started recording, it disappears from the View Schedule menu.  Is there a way to adjust the end time of a single recording while it is being recorded?  For example, if I'm watching a game and it is running long and I want to add 60minutes to the end of the scheduled recording time.  How do I do this?
Tags (4)
Re: Change End time of Recording in Progress?
matcarl
Master - Level 1
Once it starts, you can't adjust it. You can either record the show after it or set up a manual recording.
0 Likes
Tlon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, that's a bummer.  Love most things about FIOS, but the menu for the DVR really can be maddening.  Cox's was much more limited but also much more usable.  I wish Verizon would spend less time on widgets and more time on the UI of the DVR menu!!!

Thanks for your reply!

parkingmachine
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree, this is a frustrating omission!  When you are setting a recording there is no option for modifying the start/end time unless you set the recording and then modify it in the schedule menu!

Why only an option to record a series with options?

Further, why not make recording smarter to automatically record sporting events that invariably run long?

0 Likes
gman

I couldn't agree more.   I got dinged a few weeks ago recording the NCAA Men's basketball championship.  The telecast starts at 9pm, but then CBS has to do the "prelude to a championship" which causes the game to be delayed by 20 min.  Every sports fan knows that basketball games are about 2hrs.  I had set my recording thru the fios menu and I forgot that FIOS doesn't allow you to change the recording once it has started.   As soon as 11pm rolled around and the local news started the recording stopped.  Was I tee-off!!!!   BIG time!  

I agree with you about the silly widgets.  Verizon should devote more time to developing a better DVR.  Manual recording is about the only way I have since learned to manage recording long running sporting events.

Thanks

Gman

0 Likes
Chrisros
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree.  I just switched over from DirecTV/TiVo, and while the verizon interface does many things TiVo didn't do, some of the very basic nice things that TiVo did, this DVR does not.  The ability to easily change the end time when choosing to record a program is super annoying.  Heck, I still hadn't figured out where to look to change the end time once it was scheduled until I read this thread.  I'm still not 100% sure I know what to do, but at least now I know where to look.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

@Tlon wrote:

... I wish Verizon would spend less time on widgets and more time on the UI of the DVR menu!!!

Thanks for your reply!

I could not agree more!

0 Likes
daryl054

I agree it is crazy that it can not be altered while in use.  What really kills me is there is an option when setting up a recording to extend the recording 30,60,90 etc minutes past its scheduled end date.  Knowing playoff games go over, I set it up for last night for 90 minutes.  What should have been a 4 hour recording, was a 2.5 and I missed the last 2 minutes of regulation and the over time!!! I called support and they said the extended time does not work, has never worked and they are working on it as it is a know issue.  Where is the love of removing the option or sending a notification not to count on that?!?

I am new to Fios, came from comcast and comcast could send notices through the box to be read on the tv, it is amazing to me fios can not do this!

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@daryl054 wrote:

I agree it is crazy that it can not be altered while in use.  What really kills me is there is an option when setting up a recording to extend the recording 30,60,90 etc minutes past its scheduled end date.  Knowing playoff games go over, I set it up for last night for 90 minutes.  What should have been a 4 hour recording, was a 2.5 and I missed the last 2 minutes of regulation and the over time!!! I called support and they said the extended time does not work, has never worked and they are working on it as it is a know issue.  Where is the love of removing the option or sending a notification not to count on that?!?

I am new to Fios, came from comcast and comcast could send notices through the box to be read on the tv, it is amazing to me fios can not do this!

Don't know who you talked to, but I have been using the extension of recording option for 2 years with no issues (6416-2 DVR).  I have several series (Formula 1 practice, qualifying and race, as well as The Daily Show) set to record varying amounts past the scheduled end time and unless there is a conflict it always records the extended time.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Like Keyboards, I have used the time extension option for sporting events, etc, and have never had it fail to record the extra time. I also have a QIP 6416 DVR if that makes any difference. I also have some series recordings set up to either start early or end late or both and they always record as I set them up. So the function does (or maybe occasionally can?) work, at least on the 6416 DVR, and has always worked for me. I agree though, that it would be really nice to be able to dynamically extend a recording while it is actually recording, just in case I forgot to do it up front. Today all I can do is go in and set the program following the one I want to extend to record; works, but breaks the recording up into two pieces. 

As far as Verizon sending out notifications, they have the facility, they pretty much just don't use it for some reason. There is a message facility within the Menu structure. Verizon seems to use it only when they have added some new channels, or to announce some special freeby on some of the premium channels. There is also a message light on the STB that could be turned on to make it much easier to know when there are messages, but apparently some years ago they tried using it and got so many calls to the FSC wondering why this light was on that they discontinued it. Big mistake in my opinion, people would have gotten used to it and it would have been a nice step forward. Maybe sometime in the future they will try again, we can always hope....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes