Change Routers
Crusher75060

I bought a new router to replace the Actiontec. Network now works fine and I have a VPN connection to the office and all is well. Even the wireless is working on one router, while everything else comes from the new router. However since my Actiontec has a cable to the ONT, of course the VOD doesn't work.

Can I just run a cat5 from the ont to the WAN on the Actiontec and get the cable working again? If not, what other options do I have?  I've read that I can bridge the two routers, but that still makes the Actiontec the primary router. I really need to have the VPN connection to get work done from home.

A little help would be appreciated.

Crusher75060

0 Likes
Re: Change Routers
prisaz
Legend

@Crusher75060 wrote:

I bought a new router to replace the Actiontec. Network now works fine and I have a VPN connection to the office and all is well. Even the wireless is working on one router, while everything else comes from the new router. However since my Actiontec has a cable to the ONT, of course the VOD doesn't work.

Can I just run a cat5 from the ont to the WAN on the Actiontec and get the cable working again? If not, what other options do I have?  I've read that I can bridge the two routers, but that still makes the Actiontec the primary router. I really need to have the VPN connection to get work done from home.

A little help would be appreciated.

Crusher75060

The Cable from the Actiontec to the splitter must remain. On the ONT the Ethernet port and the coax MOCA port can not both support IP at the same time.

I have run various configurations in the past. Runing Actiontec Ethernet WAN to your new router LAN should work just fine. BUT you will not have remote access to your DVR, and caller ID will not work properly. The Actiontec has some special firmware that allows these items to work. Using your router up front will prevent this.

You can bridge the Actiontec, but it gets a bit more complicated. You would need to turn off DHCP on the Actiontec and run the Actiontec LAN to new router LAN. DHCP on the router in use should be set to assign  IP addresses based on the MAC address of the TV hardware. x.x.x.100-106. I have had the Ethernet port enabled on my ONT from the beginning for more flexability.

Remember that if you need support from Verizon you will need to have the default configuration with their router as primary.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes
Crusher75060

Ok this is weird.

I have the Actiotec router as the secondary right now. I have the New router as primary. I connected the lan of the primary to the lan of the Actiontec. Of course I turned of DHCP on the actiontec and use only the wireless of it for the laptops. I let the cable plugged into it just to see what would happen.

When I look in the setup for the actiontec router is says the cable is not connected. However, when I go into the TV and check, the VOD and widgets still work just fine. How is that possible?

Just to explain the setup I'll call the new router 1 (cisco RVS400-VPN) and the actiontec 2.  I disabled the #2 routers DCHP and assigned it 192.168.0.2 while the #1 router was 192.168.0.1.  My systems all pull their IP address from router 1. I plugged the WAN into router 1 and a jumper from the LAN of router 1 into the LAN of router 2.  The wireless of router 2 is still working just fine. But then so is the VOD, widgets and the guide. To test it, I watched a VOD movie last night without a problem. Weird huh?

Crusher75060

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Crusher75060 wrote:

Ok this is weird.

I have the Actiotec router as the secondary right now. I have the New router as primary. I connected the lan of the primary to the lan of the Actiontec. Of course I turned of DHCP on the actiontec and use only the wireless of it for the laptops. I let the cable plugged into it just to see what would happen.

When I look in the setup for the actiontec router is says the cable is not connected. However, when I go into the TV and check, the VOD and widgets still work just fine. How is that possible?

Just to explain the setup I'll call the new router 1 (cisco RVS400-VPN) and the actiontec 2.  I disabled the #2 routers DCHP and assigned it 192.168.0.2 while the #1 router was 192.168.0.1.  My systems all pull their IP address from router 1. I plugged the WAN into router 1 and a jumper from the LAN of router 1 into the LAN of router 2.  The wireless of router 2 is still working just fine. But then so is the VOD, widgets and the guide. To test it, I watched a VOD movie last night without a problem. Weird huh?

Crusher75060

No not weired. MOCA and LAN are bridged by default on the Actiontec. Should show MOCA WAN not connected, but MOCA LAN connected. So what you have is your set top boxes communicating throught the MOCA to the LAN on the Actiontec. Then LAN to LAN between the two routers. This is a bridged configuration. If you want to be sure you are getting Etherenet from the ONT, just disconnect the COAX from the ONT, and see if it still works. It sounds like your ONT is configured for Ethernet.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I have three routers and a wireless bridge. One router being the most inner firewall, and it is a Linux box running a transparent proxy with Dan's Guardian k-12 filter. The Verizon stuff is on say the least secure outward part of my network.

0 Likes