Channels freezing
cagill141

We have been experiencing problem with channels freezing.  The channel will freeze, sometimes it unfreezes about 2 minutes later; sometimes a message appears saying outages are being checked in our area.  When I change the channel, the other channel is okay; at other times, the other channel I change to is unavailable.  I also get this message at the bottom right saying Widgets are not available.  We have 3 devices, a DVR and 2 mini boxes, and this has occurred on all of them.  Could this be an issue with the devices or a connection problem?

0 Likes
Re: Channels freezing
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cagill14 wrote:

We have been experiencing problem with channels freezing.  The channel will freeze, sometimes it unfreezes about 2 minutes later; sometimes a message appears saying outages are being checked in our area.  When I change the channel, the other channel is okay; at other times, the other channel I change to is unavailable.  I also get this message at the bottom right saying Widgets are not available.  We have 3 devices, a DVR and 2 mini boxes, and this has occurred on all of them.  Could this be an issue with the devices or a connection problem?

First I'd unplug power to everything including the router. Plug the router back in first and when it stabilizes, plug in the DVR and let it stabilize. Then go one at a time and plug each mini in one at a time. If that doesn't help, check the coax connections to the splitter, router and the DVR.

cagill141

I had scheduled a Verizon technician to check the problem.  He replaced the DVR.  He said there had been issues with the new DVR.  This was Friday.  Saturday morning, had one of the TVs on, a channel froze.  Throughout the day, channels on the other TVs froze.  This morning, had TV on and a channel froze.

I unplugged everything - router, DVR, mini-boxes, even the digital adapter.  Waited about 30 seconds to a minute.  Plugged everything back in - router, DVR, mini-boxes, digital adapter - in that order. I even removed the coax cable from the splitter and router and reattached it.   I then noticed a few minutes later that the lights on the back of the router were out.  I rebooted the router, the lights back on.  Then a few minutes later, they were out again.  If I'm not mistaken, these should be continuously on, right?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cagill14 wrote:

I had scheduled a Verizon technician to check the problem.  He replaced the DVR.  He said there had been issues with the new DVR.  This was Friday.  Saturday morning, had one of the TVs on, a channel froze.  Throughout the day, channels on the other TVs froze.  This morning, had TV on and a channel froze.

I unplugged everything - router, DVR, mini-boxes, even the digital adapter.  Waited about 30 seconds to a minute.  Plugged everything back in - router, DVR, mini-boxes, digital adapter - in that order. I even removed the coax cable from the splitter and router and reattached it.   I then noticed a few minutes later that the lights on the back of the router were out.  I rebooted the router, the lights back on.  Then a few minutes later, they were out again.  If I'm not mistaken, these should be continuously on, right?

Not an expert here but on the back of the Quantum router near the bottom is a WAN and a LAN light that should be on ALL the time. The front lights should be white ALL the time. The small lights near plugged in ethernet cables should be flashing. From the guide:

LAN CoaxUnlit – Indicates no MoCA network connection to the device Solid green – Indicates network link

WAN CoaxUnlit – Indicates no link to the upstream MoCA device Solid green – Indicates network link.

Those two lights are just above the coax connection. If you have problems here, your issue lies in either the cabling to the router, or the ONT, or both.  

cagill141

I agree the problem has to be with the ethernet connection between the router and the ONT.   The ONT is located in the laundry room and the router is in the next room near the TV One box. The technician installed a white cable that runs from the ONT to the router.   I am going to move the router next to the ONT and connect it using a different ethernet cable and see what happens.   If that doesn't correct the problem,  I guess I will just have to have a technician in to check the ONT.    

0 Likes