Cisco CHS 435HDC's DVR- How do I switch tuner being displayed while recording?
gastrof
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've just had FiOS installed for the first time, and have been given the box shown in the title.

I know it can record two shows at once, but how do I get the thing to display the OTHER channel?  That is, how do I watch the other channel being recorded, or, if only recording one show, switch to the other tuner so I can watch something else? 

There's no instruction book, and I haven't found anything here or while doing internet searches.

I'd find it hard to believe that, until the recording is finished, you're stuck with whichever channel the box decided to display on the TV.

0 Likes
Re: Cisco CHS 435HDC's DVR- How do I switch tuner being displayed while recording?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Don't have the Cisco, but have you treied just entering the other channel number that is recording for your first scenario (2 recordings) or just enter the channel you want to view for the second.  That is how the Moto boxes work.

You can also find manuals for all the Verizon boxes HERE (link).

Re: Cisco CHS 435HDC's DVR- How do I switch tuner being displayed while recording?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I concur with Keyboards ... you should be able to just enter the channel number of the other program if you have two programs recording simultaneously and the box will recognize that it's on the other tuner and change automatically.

With a single recording, simply change the channel and the box should recognize that the current tuner is being used for recording and switch to the other tuner automatically before making the change.

greg_m5
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was also looking for a quick and easy way to switch back and forth between tuners having just switched from DirecTV. With DirecTV you could hit the down arrow and toggle between the two tuners even if nothing was being recorded at the time - plus each tuner had a buffer so that you could rewind or fast forward. I am hoping that feature will eventually be added to the FIOS DVR's.

BTW, the user manual for the 435HDC is for installing the DVR and doesn't have any info about the 1.9 interface. There are some help pages within the interface (in the setup menus for example), but they aren't much help when it comes to finding specific features since they are designed to explain the setting you are changing at the time.

0 Likes
pixelpusher220
Concur, I'm already seriously missing my DirecTivo after just a weekend on FiOS. I have 2 tuners, I should be able to switch between them without having to use the 'Last' button functionality. Which *sort of* does the job but you have to be careful not to change channels on the 2nd tuner because then it switches the other tuner to the new selection. The sheer slowness of the Cisco is utterly amazing. Worse, there's zero on screen feedback that your remote key press was accepted, leading to multiple presses which gets it confused. One thing I find ironic is the 'record this' procedure on the Cisco is actually too easy. It just starts recording it without any prompts to confirm you wanted it recorded. Then there's the default menu setting. I really don't care 'Whats Hot on FiOS'. I want to get to my DVR recording yet that is almost 10 button presses away. It's quite obvious just how slapstick this receiver is compared to a smooth mature interface of Tivo. And the Tivo I had was TEN YEARS OLD. Really? You can't get basic usability figured out in ten years?
0 Likes
greg_m5
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found that entering the channel # (like Keyboards mentioned) switches to the other tuner with the Cisco. Using the guide to change the channel keeps you on the same tuner.

To toggle back and forth like you do with DirecTV you use the previous/last button. Both channels do have a buffer - haven't figured out how long the buffer is when using both tuners that way.

0 Likes
GeekCat
Enthusiast - Level 1

Your link to the manuals point to  install manual that are erroneously labeled "User Manuals."  There are no User Manuals available, only install manuals. 

Not very user friendly, nor helpful, Verizon.

prisaz
Legend

Use the LAST button on your remote. That will switch back and forth. Remember you only have two tuners.

I have the hardware listed in my signature, ran Motorola for years, and now I like the Cisco hardware for the last month. I may add another DVR for Multi-Hub. I don't remember about pausing in one room and continue in another, but I don't believe my Motorola could do that, I actually had to hit record I think. I noticed with img 1.9 and Cisco I pause, go to another room and select DVR and continue watching from the point where I paused. A big plus. Sort of what DTV has been advertizing. I am not sure how that works, or if it ties up the second tuner in the DVR. I need to test that. It would be cool if the STB started to continue and buffer the program content from the STB and not the DVR tuner.

I have a TiVO HD and Tried the Premier, then sent it back after three days. The Tivo Premier had issues with the parental controls when running what they concidered an HD guide a year ago.

Vote and comment here regarding an Operators Manual, and not a wiring guide.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/Operators-Manual-for-DVRs-and-STBs-Not-an...

0 Likes