Clear QAM stations only coming in 480i - recent change?
gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does anyone know if Verizon recently changed the clear QAM stations in the Burlington, MA market?

I have a TV in the kitchen with a built in clear QAM tuner that has worked great for years, picking up the local stations in their native format, e.g., 720p or 1080i.

A couple of nights ago my wife called me at work to say that this TV was not working, but all other TV's were working fine.

I came home and did a re-scan and the TV found all the stations, but there are only coming in very low quality @ 480i.

Has anyone else run into this issue or have any information?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Clear QAM stations only coming in 480i - recent change?
GAQ1

Hello There..

I have also list the HD versions of several station...Will try to rescan the TV QAM tuners and report back !

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Still have HD channels on a Samsung that was previously scanned. This is in Philadelphia Area. There is no change here. 

0 Likes
gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi GAQ....what did you find out?   

Thanks!

Greg

0 Likes
Nujer99

Yes, same issue in Groton, MA.  Kitchen TV as well.  Disappointing as 480i is tough to watch.  Hopefully they'll change things back but I'm guessing that won't happen.

0 Likes
gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's interesting.

I read that the FCC requires that local affiliates be carried in clear QAM in their native format.

0 Likes
EHollick
Enthusiast - Level 1

I noticed this same issue on Tuesday, 07/16/19, in Hudson, MA.

After rescanning channels and Verizon FiOS tech support sending reset signal to netowrk interface (box in basement that converts fiber to coax) did not resolve, a tech was dispatched.

Tech arrived this morning (07/18/19) and foudn the network interface was not putting out a good quality signal. This probably explains intermittent internet lapses (that I often thought were just the servers being accessed).

So, even though I now have the most up-to-date network interface, I still don't have the HD channels.  Tech found the signal coming thru on his test equipment, but did not have a solution why no HD channels display on the TV.

Both TV's show that the signal is there. One shows a black screen (would be blue if no signal for that channel) and other receives auido, but a blank picture.

Hope this is resolved soon.

0 Likes
Nujer99

Thanks for the update.  Hopefully we'll get an answer on this soon.  I don't think this is an issue on our side as many of us in different areas are experiencing the same issue at pretty much the same time.  Something changed on the Verizon side.  I'm hoping it wasn't something intentional and that they can restore things back to the way it was at some point.

0 Likes
EHollick
Enthusiast - Level 1

Received a call today from Verizon Service Managaement so they could understand what the issue was the tech that was here last week wasn’t able to resolve.

I made reference to this forum and others with similar circumstances over a diverse Burlington MA market area. 

He agreed something must have happened at a system level. He said he would be talking to some folks in the technical areas.  

Hopefully, we will see our HD channels (soon).

0 Likes
Nujer99

Thanks for the update and appreciate you escalating this with the Verizon technical team.

0 Likes