Closed Captioning
dnbhavens
I have gone through the guide and set CC to off.  I have also gone through the menu options on my television.  Regardless to updating those, I still have CC on all channels.  Any suggestions on how to remove it?  TIA
0 Likes
Re: Closed Captioning
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
there can be only two possibilities:  either it is set to 'on' on the set top box, or it is set to 'on' on the TV.   perhaps you did not actually turn it off properly on one or the other. 
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

If it is the STB that is generating the CC, you do not need to go through the STB Menu to turn it on or OFF, you can use the * button on the remote (lower left of the number keypad, below the 7, also labeled with a small CC next to it).

Keller, TX

0 Likes
speedo123
Contributor - Level 1

My CC problem is a bit different.  I have one TV set in a noisey area with CC turned on thru the TV menu.  For some reason, it displays a small "m" as a small "r."  This can cause a bit of confusion when reading the text.  I've sent a few emails to the credited (onscreen) CCers, but never received any response.  This problem has been this way since I turned on CC 6 months ago.  I can't imagine that they are not aware of this nor understand why they haven't fixed it.  Can it be that hard or have they used up their allotment on small m's?Smiley Wink  Would there be any difference using the STB's CC (accessed through the Verizon remote mentioned herein) vs. the TV's CC?  Or is the CC source from the same place?  Anyone else experiencing the "m" "r" problem?

Message Edited by speedo123 on 01-18-2009 11:25 AM
0 Likes
G-Pon
Contributor - Level 1

Both the Verizon STBs (Set-Top Boxes) AND the TVs can produce CC for you. If the STB is set to “CC - OFF” then the TV’s CC is what you see or vice-versa.

The other thing that often causes unexpected placement of text or text boxes is a system I think was called “EPS” (not absolutely sure about the acronym). This is not used much anymore and was not on every set, but was an experimental program, a partnership between the FCC and a handful of manufacturers, an early attempt at a program guide like cable TV has, but using a side-band of broadcast TV. Sets with this built-in capability often get this turned on by mistake causing an annoying box that altering CC settings will not cure.

The “r” or other characters in the CC text box is an odd one, never saw that so I’m going to conclude it is a TV brand specific closed captioning feature perhaps informing you of a piece of hearing impaired-relevant data of some kind.

0 Likes