Coax to Cat5
BlueMunoz
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wireless does not work well with my ROKU box.  Terrible streaming rate.  HD is impossible to attain.

The main Verizon coax splitter is close to the ROKU and the splitter has an open coax input.  I would like to access it but the ROKU requires a Cat5 male connection.

What do I need so that I can connect from Coax splitter to Cat5?

Luis

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Coax to Cat5
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

You need a MoCA to Ethernet adapter.  The COAX carries the Internet in an RF modulated frequency above the TV channels (> 850 MHz).  These are readily available if you search the web.  Here's a link to a possibility (just and example):

Amazon Actiontec MoCA Adapter

NOTE: Search results also can be found for MoCA Bridge.

View solution in original post

Re: Coax to Cat5
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

You need a MoCA to Ethernet adapter.  The COAX carries the Internet in an RF modulated frequency above the TV channels (> 850 MHz).  These are readily available if you search the web.  Here's a link to a possibility (just and example):

Amazon Actiontec MoCA Adapter

NOTE: Search results also can be found for MoCA Bridge.

Re: Coax to Cat5 HD Streaming Problem
BlueMunoz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well thanks for the answer.  I ran Cat5 directly to the Roku, eliminated the WiFi to the Roku but it did not improve the streaming problem.  Very disappointing.

I have resolved to one or three issues.

1. Verizon somehow throtles down streaming for 3rd party sources.  Netflix and others... simply to eliminate competition from their own VZ movie rentals (naturally at unreasonable cost).  Verizon HD streaming works great.  Hmmm...

Or

2. Roku (in my case) doesn't like Verizon streaming.  Naturally, the Roku folks blame the provider.

Or

Netflix streaming sucks.  However, the other movie channels provided by Roku seem to stream at better rates.  Less selections.

Does anyone know how to add Netflix to the FIOS widgets or apps?  If Verizon would provide Netflix that might take care of the problem.

0 Likes