Commercial VOLUME!
MrJoshua

Someone please tell me why the volume is blasting on all commercials on Verizon FIOS TV.  I listen to a program at a comfortable volume and when a commercial comes on it is extremely loud so I lower the television volume.  Then the program comes back on and the volume is too low.  I wind up riding the volume up and down.  It is annoying.  What can we do about it? 

0 Likes
Re: Commercial VOLUME!
AnnJ11
Contributor - Level 3

This is also a pet peeve of mine.  Oddly enough, I have found that it's much less of a problem for me with FIOS than it was under Cablevision.  (And Cablevision's own ads were the loudest of all.)

Personally, there are several companies I will never patronize because of these practices.

Do not lose hope.

"On December 15, 2010, President Obama signed the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation (CALM) Act requiring TV broadcasters to ensure that commercials air at a volume no louder than the programs in which they appear."

Here is a good article about it:

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/consumerawareness/a/When-And-How-The-Calm-Act-Will-Be-Enforced.htm

It explains when the act will be in full force and also how to report offenders. 

KReynolds88
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon is the only offender I find on my FIOS service.  It is so bad it makes me want to change service.  I had Time Warner which is horrendous on service but at least I didnt have to change the volume 12 times during an hour show.

0 Likes
mw73
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have this very same problem periodically that crops up every so many weeks. These tend to be local commercials and they are incredibly loud, so much so, that I think my surround sound speakers will blow. It scares the crap out of me or my family member watching and you have to run over to the surround sound receiver and crank the volume down. My receiver is set to a specific decibel level, so this is incredibly frustrating. After speaking to Fios tech support, I was told that they "have no control over this." …I'm thinking this is B.S.

0 Likes
mw73
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is how to complain. If you are having this problem, please report it!

The easiest way to file a loud commercial complaint is by using the FCC's online complaint form at www.fcc.gov/complaints. To use the form, click on the Complaint Type button "Broadcast (TV and Radio), Cable, and Satellite Issues," and then click on the Category button "Loud Commercials." This will take you to the "Form 2000G - Loud Commercial Complaint" form. Fill out the form and click on "Complete the form" to submit your complaint to the FCC.

The "Loud Commercial Complaint" form asks for information, including the date and time you saw the commercial, the name of the program you were watching and which TV station or pay TV provider transmitted the commercial. It's a lot of information, but it is necessary to help the FCC correctly identify the offending commercial from among the tens-of-thousands of commercials aired every day.

Complaints can also be filed by fax to 1-866-418-0232 or by letter mailed to:

The Federal Communications Commission
Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau
Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division
445 12th Street, SW, Washington, DC 20554.

If you need assistance in filing your complaint, you may contact the FCC's Consumer Call Center by calling 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322) (voice) or 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322)

0 Likes