Re: Commercials TOO Loud
Oing
Enthusiast - Level 2

And Verizon seems to wait till late at night to air the REALLY LOUD COMMERCIALS. Which makes it even more of a slap in the face to subscribers.

Im swtiching back to Comcast. I never had this problem when I got my TV through them.

0 Likes
Rebalol
Contributor - Level 1
The loud commercials are the FIOS commercials on every channel -- every FIOS commercial plus all the local inserted commercials. They about blow me out of the house! I shouldn't have to grab my remote to turn down the sound...never had to do it with any other service I've subscribed to, ever. Not Acceptable!!! Channel : every one with local commercials and FIOS spots Time: all day, every day Location: Redlands, CA Release 1.7 Build 9.83 Region 03 Zip 92374
0 Likes
cindra
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had the same problem myself.

0 Likes
aldend123

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Some of these commercials are so loud relative to the TV programming that it literally sends me running for the remote to turn it down. I had Comcast before, and I do recognize the commercials might be louder in general, but the FIOS service is digusting. It will cause me to prepend my recommendation of their amazingly fast internet service with how obnoxiously loud their programming's commercials are over other providers I've experienced. In a multi-family home, it makes it very difficult to enjoy the TV while trying to be mindful of neighbors having to listen to blaring commercials.

It is not all commercials, only some. They are all louder in general, but some go well above the typical volume bump.

Zip 02907 Providence, RI

0 Likes
Thor--

I used a VCR for 15 or so years to avoid commercials.  I had one that could auto-skip commercials!  Now I use the DVR for almost everything I watch.  The 30 second skip is great, but not as good as the VCR.

I would not mind the commercials so much if the volume was normal.  So, if you want me to watch them, fix them!

NVM, I like skipping them.  Can watch a 1 hour show in about 45 minutes.

I also like watching stuff on my schedule.

0 Likes
Rebalol
Contributor - Level 1

oh, i agree with you about the dvr...i do record a lot of programs or watch them live on time delay ... unfortunately, because of the limited space on the dvr, I can't record everything!

0 Likes
SantaOG160
Enthusiast - Level 3

Comcast or DirectTV have the same loud commercal problems. No channel provider attenuates the average peak audio levels between channels so that they are all uniform.

As a solution, I humbly suggest using a receiver that has a built in dynamics control in its amp set up section. The one I use is Model Sony STR-DH500 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver (Black) . Other receivers may also have this capability.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@joesgirl wrote:

Is anyone else sick and tired of commercials that are 3 times louder than the shows?!!! There has to be something Verizon can do about this.  I'm thinking about switching back to Comcast or going to Direct TV.

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/displaythread?rootPostID=10500267

I wouldn't do that if I Were you.   if you take a look at that thread, there are a couple of engineers that give reasonably ok answers to the problem.    cool if you're bored and or want to do some homework.   But bottom line is that problem happens everywhere.

Because directv and fios are such better quality, the loud commercial sound is much more noticeable. 

prisaz
Legend

It is a shame there couldn't be a volume leveling feature added to STBs. You know sort of what you can do when you have a bunch of MP3s. I know there could be. Key word could.

0 Likes