Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

Compressed picture in Sony Trinitron CRT tv

somboed
Contributor
Contributor

Compressed picture in Sony Trinitron CRT tv

Message 1 of 14
(3,782 Views)

FIOS just installed a few days ago. Local channels appear full screen, but most don't, such as ESPN. Even with 16:9 ratio turned OFF, the top and bottom 2 inches of the tv screen are blacked out. This makes the picture quite small. This didn't happen with Comcast cable, from whom I switched. The installer couldn't figure it out - he said it was probably the tv. That seems unlikely to me.

Any ideas on how to remedy this?

13 REPLIES 13
prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Compressed picture in Sony Trinitron CRT tv

Message 2 of 14
(3,778 Views)

In the Menu under Settings, TV. HD Overide, there are additional settings. Verizon provides the picture as recieved. If it is letterbox, that is what you will see. Even if you have 4:3 set for your screen size. You may still need to make some other adjustments. I had the same TV as you at 34" in size. I believe it is stretch, or Pan and scan you are looking for. If you adjust these settings, remember you will be croping the sides if it is widescreen content. Perhaps others can add more.

somboed
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 14
(3,774 Views)

I have a Standard Def. box, not HD. There is no HD Override option in my menu settings selections. Thanks for the response, though.

matcarl
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Message 4 of 14
(3,761 Views)

Some of the SD channels are in letter box now like FearNet and National Geo Wild, other channels show certain shows that way. It is annoying.

lasagna
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 5 of 14
(3,758 Views)

If you try to watch an HD channel on an SD TV, you will get the letterbox style image as the box downsizes the image  to allow a 720p/1080i image to fit on a 480i resolution.   Make sure you are watching the SD version of any channels and see if that changes the behavior (SD channels are typically those below channel 500 on the box).

matcarl
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Message 6 of 14
(3,751 Views)

Lasagna, he already said he had and SD box.

lasagna
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 7 of 14
(3,741 Views)

Since this was installed two days ago and Verizon doesn't distribute SD STB's anymore -- everything's HD except for the terminal adapters, are we sure about that?

OP ... are you running with one of the small terminal adapters (no menu or guide available, etc.) or a standard STB?  What is the model number of the STB you have?

ekem015
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 8 of 14
(3,734 Views)

ESPN is only broadcasting in 16:9 now; even with their SD signal. There is no more 4:3 ESPN.

somboed
Contributor
Contributor

Message 9 of 14
(3,731 Views)

Verizon still distributes SD boxes - it's an option in their Double Play internet / tv. I can't even get HD channels with this SD box.

Model: Motorola QIP2500-3 

somboed
Contributor
Contributor

Message 10 of 14
(3,721 Views)

This appears to be a normal SD box. I have a full menu guide.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.