Configure Sony BluRay to connect to internet.
gary742

Hi. I want to connect to the internet from my Sony bdp-n460 bluray player since the TV itself is not enabled for internet. I have a cat5 patch cable already running from the only RJ45 (labeled LAN-100) on the DVD to the lone Ethernet RJ45 port on the Motorola STB. I have tried to config all the addresses for IP,Subnet, Gateway and DNS. Evidently I finding the DCHP server as I no longer get the message associated with that since I finally got the address correct. I have checked the router main settings menu on the computer connected to the router (ActionTec MI424WR) and though I am seeing both STBs listed, I do not see the DVD. I am assuming that is related to my problem, but I don't know how to configure it. Can someone assist?

Stumped in NJ

0 Likes
Re: Configure Sony BluRay to connect to internet.
matcarl
Master - Level 1

You can't connect it to the STB, you have to either connect it to the router or do wireless

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

matcarl is right - the ethernet ports on the STB are not functional, so instead of the STB you have to plug it into one of the numbered lan ports on the router (1, 2, 3, or 4).

that is the best way to do it for reliability and functionality.

if you must connect it wirelessly, then you would need the SSID and the WEP key found on the service tag of the router.  if the router is standing upright then the sticker will be on the left hand side, if the router is laying flat then you'll find the sticker underneath it.  

If you want to connect it wired to the router and don't have an easy way to do that, then I would recommend you buy an HME2200 or an EB2200 moca/coax bridge.

it will connect in any room that has a live tv coax cable, and on the other end it has an ethernet.    It works great, and theres no configuration neccessary.  

matcarl
Master - Level 1

Excellent product, thanks Hub

0 Likes
gary742

Thanks for the quick reply. While I COULD go thru the labor of running cat5 and all that, the moca sounds attractive. But that raises a question to me. Since the router itself inputs coax and has rj45 jacks is it not a moca then? If so, can I use a second Actiontec MI242WR I find on ebay for around $25 instead of the $90 mocas you suggested. Just thinking.

G

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

yes you can.  the moca bridge is no fuss quick easy and painless, and might be worth the extra dough for that fact.   But if you want to save a bit of money, then you can, but you'll have reasonably complex set up, but if you're prepared to dig in and configure a bridge on the actiontec, then yes you can save. 

0 Likes