Connect Fios TV One Mini Box wirelessly via 3rd party router?
BoostHungry
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have Fios TV One and I have one Mini box connected to my main box wirelessly.  Before this setup, I always had the wireless for the Quantum Gateway Router disabled in favor of a more powerful $400 Netgear router that is connected via Ethernet to the QGR.  My Netgear provides excellent signal throughout my house and into my yard.

It seems that the Mini cannot connect via my Netgear and instead has to connect to a wireless network controlled by the QGR directly despite my Netgear just acting as an access point for the QGR.  My Mini is constantly complaining about network signal and the QGR is now constantly competing for 5ghz channels with my Netgear which seems to be causing minor issues for all wireless devices (phones, Google homes, etc.).

So ... Why can't my Mini box connect to my home network via my Netgear which is connected by Ethernet to my QGR?  Why does the Mini need to connect to the QGR directly resulting in poor performance and competing networks?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connect Fios TV One Mini Box wirelessly via 3rd party router?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have the TV and the mini off. Hit Ok Ok and it will bring you to the diagnostic screen hit the back button to go the Main Menu. Option 4 is Network Configuration. 
I read other posts of people manually setting the wifi to their own router. I don’t have TV One so I can’t say for sure. It’s worth a try.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have the TV and the mini off. Hit Ok Ok and it will bring you to the diagnostic screen hit the back button to go the Main Menu. Option 4 is Network Configuration. 
I read other posts of people manually setting the wifi to their own router. I don’t have TV One so I can’t say for sure. It’s worth a try.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could also go into the wifi setup menu in the qgr and set the 5ghz net to a fixed channel. Download netgear wifi analytics and see which channel it recommends. Set up the QGR to whatever is best.

BoostHungry
Enthusiast - Level 2

Omg thank you so much!  This worked like a charm.

To get to the diag screen I had to turn both TV and Mini off, then hit power button to turn both the TV and Mini back on (using my glorious old school Fios remote) and then quickly hit ok ok after the second power button flashes (my old school remote cycles and turns the TV and then the Mini on in turn).

The wifi setup was extremely straight forward and I was able to disable my Quantum Gateway wireless afterwards.

Rk28

Could you tell me exactly how you did this?  I have the same router setup, and tried to follow your instructions, but have not been successful.

Specifically, how do you update the WiFi settings?  I connected the box initially to the QGR, to get it online, but am unsure how to update WiFi settings so that it connects to my nighthawk, once I've deactivated the radio on the GVE.

0 Likes
deadbill

I followed the instructions laid out above and this worked great. I was super psyched to get my tv one mini connected to google wifi. But a few days later I got an error message on TV one mini - "TV service interrupted" trouble shooting didn't help. It kept complaining that it couldn't connect to tv one.

I had to switch back to verizon wifi to get tv one mini working again. Others who have switched to 3rd party network - do you have similar issues? 

My setup
1. Fios ONT -> Verizon quantum router via Coax -> google wifi using ethernet (in utility room), Could double NAT be the problem?
2. Fios TV one connected via coax in room1 (no issues with this one, but I understand this is on different network)
3. Fios tv one mini connected to google wifi in room2. Verizon wifi signal is very weak in this room

Does tv one mini poll tv one periodically and being on different networks messed it up? Would moving the verizon router to bridge mode solve this? If verizon router is in bridge mode, the coax connection to tv one will automatically switch to google network?

Is my root cause something unrelated - some power outage perhaps?

Should I consider wifi extenders? Ugly solution, but I am desperate at this point. Can't really watch HD with tv one mini if I am on verizon wifi. 

Thanks a lot
0 Likes
hoving

> If you have the TV and the mini off. Hit Ok Ok and it will bring you to the diagnostic screen hit the back button to go the Main Menu. Option 4 is Network Configuration.

There's obviously some detail missing in this accepted answer. Hit "Ok Ok" on what, and when? If the TV and mini are off, hitting "Ok Ok" (on the Fios remote?) wouldn't do anything. Wouldn't you need to turn the TV, mini, or both back on? And when you do, when do you hit Ok Ok? Also, when you get to Option 4, what do you do then? Thanks for any help. I replaced my Fios quauntum gateway router with a 3rd party router and my mini is no longer seeing my wifi and is still trying to connect to the Fios qgr.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@hoving wrote:

> If you have the TV and the mini off. Hit Ok Ok and it will bring you to the diagnostic screen hit the back button to go the Main Menu. Option 4 is Network Configuration.

There's obviously some detail missing in this accepted answer. Hit "Ok Ok" on what, and when? If the TV and mini are off, hitting "Ok Ok" (on the Fios remote?) wouldn't do anything. Wouldn't you need to turn the TV, mini, or both back on? And when you do, when do you hit Ok Ok? Also, when you get to Option 4, what do you do then? Thanks for any help. I replaced my Fios quauntum gateway router with a 3rd party router and my mini is no longer seeing my wifi and is still trying to connect to the Fios qgr.

You have both both the TV and the Fios box on to start. Power off the Fios box from the button on top of the box, then hit OK 2X on the Fios remote. Then hit left arrow to get to the menu choices, from there follow the above instructions.

stock323

what **bleep**e is this..

" ok " 'ok ' , then ? back ?

sorry, is the '" rewind " double arrow key

or is " back " meaning depress the left side of the ' ring ' or circular button?

Fios should be able to do it if you connect mini to router through coax or ethernet

can we connect to mimi wifi settings if both mini and my pc are on ethernet cables to router ?

0 Likes
stock323

please explain " left arrow "

is that the ' <<  '     

universally known as reverse 

vs  the fast forward or " >> "

1.  can the " ok " button be used as a point of reference...

2. or the pause button ... i.e.  " >ll  "

3. or microphone button 

THERE IS AN ' arrow ' pointing towards the left side away from a button where the word " LAST " is in caps

help.. I am paying to much to support Fios and Verizon.

my $249 /M bill pays for and subsidizes GRAND THEFT PAYROLL....

they take big paychecks and cannot fix this **bleep**

0 Likes