Re: Connect Fios TV One Mini Box wirelessly via 3rd party router?
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@stock323 wrote:

please explain " left arrow "

is that the ' <<  '     

universally known as reverse 

vs  the fast forward or " >> "

1.  can the " ok " button be used as a point of reference...

2. or the pause button ... i.e.  " >ll  "

3. or microphone button 

THERE IS AN ' arrow ' pointing towards the left side away from a button where the word " LAST " is in caps

help.. I am paying to much to support Fios and Verizon.

my $249 /M bill pays for and subsidizes GRAND THEFT PAYROLL....

they take big paychecks and cannot fix this **bleep**

Left arrow would be the left side of the ring around the OK button. Sorry for the confusion. The Mini HAS to see the hidden network to get data, that's why changing the network settings on the box allow you to use a different router or network.

mfeirman

I was able to get into the diagnostic and change the wireless netowrk without a problem. However, the box does not work - I get no service on it. Do I need to change anything from any of the main boxes (not the mini)? As for now, seems I am stuck in needing a coax cable run to every box. I recently set up a third party mesh network (eero) and disabled the wireless network from the quantum gateway router. ANy help is greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mfeirman wrote:

I was able to get into the diagnostic and change the wireless netowrk without a problem. However, the box does not work - I get no service on it. Do I need to change anything from any of the main boxes (not the mini)? As for now, seems I am stuck in needing a coax cable run to every box. I recently set up a third party mesh network (eero) and disabled the wireless network from the quantum gateway router. ANy help is greatly appreciated.

I believe you need to change the network on the VMS too.

Jmbarnab1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Please explain what you mean by VMS.

0 Likes
Jmbarnab1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Forget my question above n what is a VMS. Figured out myself. I have a third party EERO mesh router as well, and my VMS sub does indicate the correct wifi settings for internet connection for other devices. However following the above procedures for my mini, I went into network manual connections entered the wifi SSID name and mini response was “SSID name does not exist.”  Help!

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Jmbarnab wrote:

Forget my question above n what is a VMS. Figured out myself. I have a third party EERO mesh router as well, and my VMS sub does indicate the correct wifi settings for internet connection for other devices. However following the above procedures for my mini, I went into network manual connections entered the wifi SSID name and mini response was “SSID name does not exist.”  Help! 

I'm not the best person to answer, but I believe you have to change the network settings on the main(VMS) box first, disconnect, then re-connect the mini for it to recognize the new network. Again, I could be wrong there, but give it a try.

Darthtrader

Hmm. I think things have changed recently. Getting into the diagnostic now only gives the following options for me. On both the main and minis.

BUI MAIN MENU

1 Diagnostic

2 User Settings

3 PlayAssure

4 Exit

Diagnostic & User settings don’t have any options to change network(at least I haven’t found any) and PlayAssure isn’t selectable as an option.

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
DrHaku

I’d like to know as well.

0 Likes
Steve-VA
Enthusiast - Level 1

You can replace the Verizon router completely by using a 3rd party router and a MOCA-Ethernet device. You need to do some port forwarding in order for Guide, OnDemand, DVR and remote Fios app to work. 

1. I changed/cloned my new router's MAC address to match the MAC address of the original Fios router but am not sure if this is necessary or not. 
  2. I set my new router DHCP up to assign the same address range as my Fios router (192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.200).
  3. I added two DHCP reservations for my Set-Top-Boxes [STB] (192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101).
  4. I added an ActionTek MOCA adapter to an "internal" port of my router and plugged the coax cable into my primary STB.
  5. I created a port-forward from the router's external IP to the IP of my primary STB (192.168.1.100) for source UDP port 63145 UDP -> destination UDP port 63145.
  6. I created a port-forward from the router's external IP to the IP of my primary STB (192.168.1.100) for source TCP port 35000 -> destination TCP port 7547.
  7. I created a port-forward from the router's external IP to the IP of my second STB (Mini) (192.168.1.101) for source TCP port 35001 -> destination TCP port 7547.
  8. I created a port-forward from the router's external IP to IP 127.0.0.1 for source TCP port 4567 -> TCP port 4567.
  9. Rebooted all equipment.

With these changes, everything works just as if the Verizon router was in place.  Of course I can't promise this will work for everyone but it may be worth a shot.  I got the port numbers to forward from the original Fios router, so you may want to check your router, if you have one, to see if your port numbers might be different.

Good luck.

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes