Connect to 2 TVs with 1 box
CoreyG1

I have an HD TV connected by HDMI to my HD DVR. I'm now trying to connect an additional TV to the same receiver. The 2nd TV is not HD, and is about 100 feet away from the receiver. It's going to be a rarely used TV, so I don't mind if it's showing the same channel on both. My receiver doesn't have an RF out. How do I connect the 2nd TV???

0 Likes
Re: Connect to 2 TVs with 1 box
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@CoreyG wrote:

I have an HD TV connected by HDMI to my HD DVR. I'm now trying to connect an additional TV to the same receiver. The 2nd TV is not HD, and is about 100 feet away from the receiver. It's going to be a rarely used TV, so I don't mind if it's showing the same channel on both. My receiver doesn't have an RF out. How do I connect the 2nd TV???

hi,  all the ports on the back of the STB are on simultaneously.  If your STB doesn't have an RF out, then you can use RCA Cables to the other TV, or you can go to the store and buy an RF Converter 

something like this 

FiosBilliam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok to post inside this thread?  Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Bill

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

post away,

its always nice to try and keep similar questions all posted together. This helps others try and find the answers. easier to search one thread rather than multiple threads.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

sure, feel free.

0 Likes
FiosBilliam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Guys, in lieu of renting another box(which I eventually did a few months ago) I set up the following;

7216DVR  hdmi to Pioneer Elite VSX-03TXH  > works perfectly. No problems at all, 5.1 Dolby EX etc... Excellent!!

I took the Component Video outs (Y,Pb,Pr) and the optical audio out of the box above and wired into

a Gefen Component+digital Audio to HDMI convertor www(dot)gefen(dot)com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=4457

and ran that feed into my ktichen Samsung A650 19" TV.

PQ was very good, as well as the audio, however after a few minutes the A/V Lip Sync was drifting off,

to a point where it was unwatchable.

So, hence my question, is this a box protection condition due to the HDMI being "in use"  or a box error etc..

Since I already "scrapped the project" so to speak, I'm just very curious if they keep the digital audio outs

locked/synced  to analog video while the HDMI is being used...

Thanks again for the info,

Bill

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@FiosBilliam wrote:

Guys, in lieu of renting another box(which I eventually did a few months ago) I set up the following;

7216DVR  hdmi to Pioneer Elite VSX-03TXH  > works perfectly. No problems at all, 5.1 Dolby EX etc... Excellent!!

I took the Component Video outs (Y,Pb,Pr) and the optical audio out of the box above and wired into

a Gefen Component+digital Audio to HDMI convertor www(dot)gefen(dot)com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=4457

and ran that feed into my ktichen Samsung A650 19" TV.

PQ was very good, as well as the audio, however after a few minutes the A/V Lip Sync was drifting off,

to a point where it was unwatchable.

So, hence my question, is this a box protection condition due to the HDMI being "in use"  or a box error etc..

Since I already "scrapped the project" so to speak, I'm just very curious if they keep the digital audio outs

locked/synced  to analog video while the HDMI is being used...

Thanks again for the info,

Bill

Well HDMI does have communication between the TV and STB to maintain proper resolution and the such. But since your not using that out of the STB (the component cables have no communication), that would be up to your convertor.

My guess is that the converter is not processing the audio and video correctly. There is likely some delay in the the conversion. At least that would be my first guess anyway.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I did a quick google search and found that there are many people having the same issue with that hdmi adaptor. Most are using it in combination with a computer instead of another TV, but they are having the same issue. Looks like that Genfen adaptor has sync problems.

0 Likes
FiosBilliam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks guys,

Yeah, I agree it all points to the Gefen box not maintaining lock. I've shot off an email to thier Tech Support to

see what they say.  I've had some experience with thier products before. Being in the broadcast industry you get

know what works, and what doesn't.

Just for the record,

I am using the HDMI output of the box along with the component+optical outs

HDMI>to the receiver,>receiver to my Kuro. 

Component+DA>Gefen> Samsung

Thanks again guys,

I'll update if I hear anything from Gefen.

Bill

0 Likes