Connecting DVD unit, HDTV and FIOS set top box/ DVR ( model Motorola QIP72322
LDSPED
I recently added TV to my FIOS package. I have a whole house DVR and have not been able to figure out how to connect my Samsung dual DVD/ VHS device. FIOS tech suggested the Best Buy Geek Squad when he installed my boxes. They told me to simply connect the set top box to the Samsung unit instead of the TV. Nope - black screen. Then was told try connecting the set top box to the TV with a coaxial. Still nothing. Tried Samsung. Pretty useless. They told me can't be done since there's no RCA R/Y/W Ports on the back of the set top box. Is there another way or am I stuck?
0 Likes
Re: Connecting DVD unit, HDTV and FIOS set top box/ DVR ( model Motorola QIP72322
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

You need to use HDMI or component (Green, Blue and Red) for video and red and white for audio.from the back of the DVD player to an available input on the back of the TV.

0 Likes
Re: Connecting DVD unit, HDTV and FIOS set top box/ DVR ( model Motorola QIP72322
LDSPED
That is the same kind of color coded cable connecting the DVR/ set top box to the TV. My DVD device is and has always been connected to the TV with an RCA Red yellow white cable. Doesn't that accomplish the same thing? I can view but not record. Doesn't there need to be se connection between the DVR UNIT SND THE DVD UNIT?
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a DVD recorder/player on my TV plus STB.
Couple of questions:

1) How many input does your TV have? Connect STB to one (preferably HDMI) and DVD player to another (ideally Component which is a total of 5 connections. You can do composite which is 2 audit and 1 video).

2) What inputs does your DVD player have? You can take one of the unused outputs from your STB and connect to DVD player. By using HDMI, the audio outputs are available to connect to DVD. If you use component to TV, then you have to get a splitter for the audio.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

You need to use a HDMI cable from cable box to TV instead and hook up your RCA cables to the back of the STB to  your DVD player then from the DVD player to TV if that was how you were watching it.

0 Likes
LDSPED
My FIOS set top box doesn't have RCA ports. It has the 5 ports: three black video w/ colored rings and two white audio. My DVD unit has 3 RYW RCA AV in & identical for AV out. Also has R,Y, Blu audio out & R,B, G component video out. DVD unit has HDMI & S Video ports as does the set top box and TV
0 Likes
AWINO
I have the same issue. Is there a work around for this? Plus I have a splitter from my incoming cable that goes to the router and to the STB. DVD/DVR I instructions show cable going to DVD/DVR player. It also has no HDMI outlets.
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can both of you report what model STB you have?

All HD STBs have HDMI outputs.

And what ports do you have on your TVs?

Unless you have SD STB or digital adapter, you should be able to conenct TV and DVD player to TV assuming it has the correct ports.

0 Likes
LDSPED
All 3 units have HDMI ports. I'm not sure which unit get hooked to which unit, so that I can record from my TV or from a saved recording on DVR? Full description of the ports on my units is in my above post on June 6.
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't quite understand what you are trying to do?

What are you trying to record on what unit.

DVR can only record from FIOS channels.

If your DVD unit can also record, just connect proper output of DVR to input of DVD unit.

DVR outputs are all active.

And then use HDMI from each DVD and DVR to TV.

Select appropriate input on tv for what you want to watch.

0 Likes