Connecting a New TV
rdini

I recently purchased a new "smart" tv, but it won't connect to my wireless router.  The onscreen instructions on the tv suggest that i check my router settings, "enable DHCP,"  for example.  Can anyone help me with this?

0 Likes
Re: Connecting a New TV
SPYER2311
Enthusiast - Level 2

What kind of router do you have? Is it the Verizon brand router? If it is, type in your URL bar '192.168.0.1' or '192.168.1.1' depending on it's configuration. And look for the tab called 'advanced' or 'My network' Enabling DHCP should be in there somewhere. I don't have FiOS or any cable TV. But I do know some things about it. Now try and connect with your smart TV again. It should work. Let me know how it works out, thanks.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@rdini wrote:

I recently purchased a new "smart" tv, but it won't connect to my wireless router.  The onscreen instructions on the tv suggest that i check my router settings, "enable DHCP,"  for example.  Can anyone help me with this?

The router, by defaults, has DHCP enabled.  What brand of TV did you purcahse?  Are you using the correct password for connecting the TV's WiFi to the router? 

SPYER2311
Enthusiast - Level 2
I agree with you. Rdini, are you putting the correct WiFi pw in, or is it hardwired?
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I don't know if this helps or not, but I have seen multiple people report that they had difficultly connecting their TV when they were using WEP on the router. I switched to WPA2 long ago, when I recently got a Samsung  smart TV it connected wirelessly immediately after entering the WPA2 passphrase. So if he is using WEP it might be worth a try to change to WPA2; he ought to do that anyway, far more secure. Only problem is, if he has lots of other wireless devices, after switching, the first time each of those devices tries to connect, he will have to enter the new passphrase.

Just a thought....

Keller, TX 76248

joker211
Contributor - Level 1

Yes I had the same issue.   We had to change the router to wpa2.  We were on wep.  And yes every laptop or device in my house had to be changed.  Now everything works beautifuly. 

One thing I noticed.  When router was on wep.  The signal strength on the TV was low.  Once changed to Wpa2 it was full strength,

What tv are you trying to hook up?   A tivo I bet. 

hope this helps

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Yes many devices will no longer connect with WEP. What revision of Actiontec router Do you have, Rev. A-I?

If you have an older router, you may be able to contact tech support and get a free upgrade to a faster Wireless N router that defaults to WPA or WPA2. It depends on what service level you subscribe to.

I believe they may only be sending out the latest Rev I now, for service replacements because of possible upcoming network changes. Not sure on that.

0 Likes