Connecting dvd to router
desertdad1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would like to connect my Samsung DVD player directly into my router(m1424wr) to utilize netflix. How do I do this

Re: Connecting dvd to router
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

If you are expecting to be able to record video from the router then there is no point as all video is QAM that is RF modulated on the coax and all but the most rudimentary channels (locals and PEG) are encoded.

If you are looking for IP connectivity then the same way you would connect any standard ethernet device - with a CAT-5 cable.

Now, if you are looking to use the MoCA for IP because the router is not in the same location as the DVD player, that is a horse of a different color.  That would require you using a MoCA bridge to convert the IP over coax to CAT-5 that your DVD would require.

Bridging can be done with a second Actiontec (and a lot of configuring), a Motorola NIM-100 (discontinued my manufacturer, might be found on E-Bay - no config necessary), or I believe ther is an Actiontec MoCA bridge device (available on Amazon according to other posts).

A clearer statement of the original question (like what you are hoping to accomplish by this connection) would be most helpful in the future to getting a succinct answer.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@desertdad wrote:

I would like to connect my Samsung DVD player directly into my router(m1424wr) to utilize netflix. How do I do this

With an Ethernet cable from the DVD player to one of the LAN ports on the router. Then Follow the DVD player and NetFlix instructions.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

For the Samsung blue ray players, a wireless option is available.  Not sure if this works with the DVD player.

If you plan to stream movies to your player. the wired option is always the better choice.

0 Likes
desertdad1
Enthusiast - Level 1

My apologies. I have a samsung blu ray dvd player that is in a different room than my router. I ran cat 5 cable for a direct connection. My desktop computer is plugged into the router and when I plugged in the second cat 5 cable I was not able to access the internet with my desktop or my wireless laptop. So my question is where do I go from here?

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Is your router connected to the Internet via the Cat 5 cable or Coax?  Remove the new blue ray player and see if you can get your computer and laptop to connect.  Did you make the cable yourself or did you buy the cable with the ends already in tact?  Also the cable run from the BR player, which port are you plugging into on the back of the router.  Make sure you are going into ports 1-4 not the WAN/Internet port.  I have my existing Samsung BR Player connected via Ethernet as well.

0 Likes
Re: Connecting DVD to router
butterfly26
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would like to connect my Samsung Blue-ray DVD player to my fios router.  The DVD player is in a differnt room from the router.   I want this connection in order to stream movies TV shows and other content from Netflix.

0 Likes
Re: Connecting DVD to router - Use MoCA Adapter
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@butterfly2 wrote:

I would like to connect my Samsung Blue-ray DVD player to my fios router.  The DVD player is in a differnt room from the router.   I want this connection in order to stream movies TV shows and other content from Netflix.

You don't indicate the Samsung model number, but I presume it is "Netflix enabled" and can stream content via an Internet connection.  I also assume it's connected (probably by HDMI) to a display device.  If these assumptions are incorrect, stop me right here.

You do not have to connect the Samsung directly to the router if there is some other way to get online.  The other ways are wireless (which it appears you cannot do), and wired .  Since it appears that you do not have an Ethernet connection at the location of the Samsung, but you do have a coax connection for the TV and STB, you can use the coax connection, in combination with something called a MoCA adapter, to get the Samsung online.

Take a look at the following device, the ECB2500C

:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CFkQFjAC&url...

This device allow you to plug in to the Ethernet network at any location where there is an active coax connection.  Just set this device up, plug in the STB and the TV, plug in the Samsung, and you will be good to go.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes