Connecting on Set Up Box to 2 TV's?
PaulN3

I am considering subscribing to FIOS TV.  However, I want to ensure I can use all my current TV's should I do so.  Right now I have a master bathroom TV, wall mounted, where a  coax cable comes out of the wall right behind the TV.  There is also an electrical outlet behind the TV.  There is no setup box. 

Since this is a bathroom, I don't want a box of any kind, as I assume it would have to be within line of sight for a remote to work, and would have to be either mounted on a new shelf on the wall or on the vanity.  I wouldn't find either acceptable from a cosmetic or safety perspective.

So, I guess I have two choices:

1.  use no set up box, and get whatever channels are available directly (and I'd have to buy a new TV, as the current one doesn't have a QAM tuner).

2.  figure out a way where somehow the TV can be linked to a setup box in the bedroom, where there is an HD TV, and for which I would use a setup box. 

I've grown quite used to being able to watch TV in the bathroom in the morning, getting ready for bed, etc., so I need a reasonable compromise, even if it doesn't include getting 100% of what I could get.  Any suggestions?  Many thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Connecting on Set Up Box to 2 TV's?
chinorider
Enthusiast - Level 3
I am using a single cable box to run 2 TV's.  I bought a very simple Next Generation Remote Control Extender fro Amazon that will control the STB from up to 80 feet away.  I used the RF output from the STB to get the signal to the 2nd TV.  Works fine but NOT HD...only SD.
0 Likes
PaulN3
Many thanks.  I too a look at the remote extender, and that would seem to eliminate the need for the STB within the bathroom.  Forgive my ignorance, but could you explain in more detail how you got the signal from the STB to your second TV?  Not familiar with that kind of setup, so any explanation would be much appreciated.
0 Likes
vinnyv07
Contributor - Level 1
I run the coax output from the Verizon receiver to the set that I want the picture on via coax cable. Believe it or not I am still using THE RABITT from years ago. They use to sell them at Radio Shack in the 80's and early 90's. It has a wired remote control extender that you place in front what ever you want to control. It is crazy that i am still using it still. It does the job though. Just run a coax from the output of one receiver to the ant in of the tv you want to watch it at. Then get a remote control extender.
0 Likes
chinorider
Enthusiast - Level 3

I ran a coax cable (RG-6) from the STB to both TV's via a splitter. One TV in my wifes study and the other to a TV in the next room.  I am using the Digital Converter STB (don't need all the bells and whistles of a normal STB). I use the RF output of the STB for both TV's but you can probably use the composite output for 1 TV and the RF for the second.  I receive the RF signal on chan 3 on both TV's.  Keep in mind that both TV's will see the same program.

0 Likes